This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8238 / 52°49'25"N
Longitude: 1.5337 / 1°32'1"E
OS Eastings: 638178
OS Northings: 330990
OS Grid: TG381309
Mapcode National: GBR XGW.YCC
Mapcode Global: WHMSS.J9K2
Plus Code: 9F43RGFM+GF
Entry Name: Happisburgh Manor including two summerhouses
Listing Date: 11 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224262
Location: Happisburgh, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Happisburgh
Built-Up Area: Happisburgh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Happisburgh St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/02/2020
TG 33 SE
THE STREET (east side)
Happisburgh Manor including two summerhouses
[Formerly listed as St Mary's including two summerhouses, WHIMPELL STREET (east side)]
House, later restaurant and Country Club. 1900 by Detmar Blow for the Cators, a local Roman Catholic family. Vernacular Domestic Revival style. Pebble flint (Quaternary) and Chert with brick and tile dressings and thatched roofs. Butterfly or X plan. Two storeys and attics. Entrance front with central single storey gabled porch: oak door under lintel of Roman tiles with flint chequerwork and brick. Five-light leaded casements either side and two first floor dormers under eyebrow thatching. These flank central two storey gabled dormer with brick diaper. At north-west and south-west are gabled wings with single four-light ground floor, three-light first floor and three-light attic floor casements. Brick quoins, attic floor platband and tumbling. Purlin irons with lettering: AVE MARIA STELLA MARIS on all gables. Returns of both south wings on entrance front pierced by one casement on ground floors and two to first floors. Gabled roofs. Two dormers below eyebrow thatching. Forest of romantically placed stacks.
Interior. Central panelled room. Fireplace decorated with coat of arms, date 1900 and motto. Panelled room also in south-west wing. Stone stairs to south. Between south wings a quadrant flint and brick wall. Between north wings a quadrant single storey service block with brick stack. At north-east and south-east corners two flint and brick summerhouses with hipped roofs attached to encircling wall and linked to house.
St Marys is said to be the first "fully-worked" example of the four-wing butterfly plan house and influenced architects such as Prior and Lutyens.
Listing NGR: TG3817830990
Other nearby listed buildings