History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Over Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Colne Engaine, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9447 / 51°56'40"N

Longitude: 0.7082 / 0°42'29"E

OS Eastings: 586232

OS Northings: 230818

OS Grid: TL862308

Mapcode National: GBR QJN.5VK

Mapcode Global: VHKFP.7D71

Entry Name: Over Hall

Listing Date: 5 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306326

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115872

Location: Colne Engaine, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Colne Engaine

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Colne Engaine St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 83 SE COLNE ENGAINE OVERHALL HILL
(south side)

3/23 Over Hall
5.8.86

GV II

House. Early C19. Red brick in Flemish bond with tuck pointing, roofed with
slate. Rectangular main block facing W, with 2 service wings to rear. 2
storeys. Ground floor, 4 French windows with some crown glass. First floor, 5
sashes of 12 lights with shallow segmental arches of gauged brick, with original
external sliding louvred shutters. Central double half-glazed doors with
overlight, Greek Doric portico with triglyph frieze and guttae, and 4 stone
steps. 4 plain giant pilasters. Terrace with tented metal canopy on cast iron
stanchions. Long overhanging eaves, hipped roof of shallow pitch. The right
return has 2 similar French windows, and on the first floor 2 similar sashes
(without shutters) and one round window with radial tracery. The interior has 2
original staircases with slender turned balusters, 6-panel door, and numerous
original features. A bargain and sale of 1810 records that the property was
sold by lsaac Brown and John Share to John Jeremiah Mayhew. An inscription 'NIA
1834' is burned into the wood below the stairs. A slate was found in the roof
inscribed 'John White, Earl's Colne, May the 21, 1831, Z. Rogers, J. Newport,
Bricklayers'.


Listing NGR: TL8623230818

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.