History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Hethersett, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5952 / 52°35'42"N

Longitude: 1.1787 / 1°10'43"E

OS Eastings: 615385

OS Northings: 304460

OS Grid: TG153044

Mapcode National: GBR VGN.BSM

Mapcode Global: WHLSN.21K8

Plus Code: 9F43H5WH+3F

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Last Amended: 26 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1306416

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226937

Location: Hethersett, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hethersett

Built-Up Area: Hethersett

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hethersett St Remigius

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in


(north-west side)
5/52 The Priory
26.11.59 (formerly listed under
Main Road)

House, C16 with additions and alterations dated 1607/8. Brick and flint,
plain tiles. C16 cross wing to left of 2 storeys and attic; front range to
right,of chimney bay and 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic; C18 range to rear.
Principal facade to south-east: cross wing to left of uncoursed broken flint
with brick dressings, crowstepped gable with datestone 1608; flush sashes
with glazing bars to ground and first floor; gable with 2-light casement with
glazing bars in former opening, small blocked opening above. Later range
to right with left end chimney bay with stack; 2 storeyed porch to chimney
bay with crowstepped gable and shaped brick kneelers, C17 brick to facade
and upper returns; double sawtooth cornice, part of returns rebuilt C19 in
Flemish bond. Porch with C19 arch, double leaved glazed door set in earlier
doorframe with 4-centred arch having carved spandrels and shields inscribed
and 1607.
First floor of porch with flush sash with glazing bars and flat arch. 1st-3rd
bays with varied brickwork of C17, C18 and C19 in English and Flemish bond,
some coloured headers; ground floor of first bay with flush tripartite sash,
second bay with sash with glazing bars of 4 x 4 panes; first floor of bays
1 and 2 with C20 renewed 4-light casements with transoms. Third bay
windowless. Roof dormer to bay 1, 2-light attic window to right gable.
Left return of cross wing partially rebuilt in brick, left gable coped, ground
and first floor each with flush sash with glazing bars. C18 range to rear
extending partly across cross wing: 3 bays, 2 storeys, hipped roof, pantiles,
wood modillion cornice; reset C16 doorcase to bay 2 with treble wood moulding
to frame and 4-centred arch with carved spandrels showing I P and defaced
shield. Leaded light over doorway and reset corbel of lions head; casement
windows either side. First floor with flush sashes and glazing bars to bays
1 and 2. Single storeyed service range to left. Right return with glazed
addition to ground floor, flush sashes with glazing bars to first floor.
Interior: cross wing with large lateral stack, previously external, now
incorporated in C17 range; roof to cross wing with curved wind braces. No
partitions to attic of C17 range except for central inserted stair. Late
C19 stair to C18 rear range. Ground floor bay 2 of C17 range with C18
panelling having egg and dart mouldings from demolished house in Pitt Street,

Listing NGR: TG1538504460

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.