This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6511 / 52°39'3"N
Longitude: -0.4781 / 0°28'41"W
OS Eastings: 503054
OS Northings: 307017
OS Grid: TF030070
Mapcode National: GBR FVR.ZXD
Mapcode Global: WHGLX.MMKG
Plus Code: 9C4XMG2C+CQ
Entry Name: Townhall
Listing Date: 22 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193717
Location: Stamford, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE9
Civil Parish: Stamford
Built-Up Area: Stamford
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Stamford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
1671 ST MARY'S HILL
TF 0306 1/238
TF 0307 1/238 22.5.54.
1777. Architect, Lovell. Stands on terrace with 9 stone steps with iron handrail,
3 storeys in ashlar, Rusticated ground floor and chamfered rusticated quoins.
6 windows on top storey flanking central cartouche with town arms. First floor
as 2-3-2 windows. Centre section breaks forward, with rusticated quoins. Upper
windows have-ornamental architraves with keystones, glazing bars. Panelled parapet
and moulded cornice with frieze, similar to that of the window architraves, Ground
floor has 6 windows in round-headed architraves with keystone. Band between ground
and first floors. Central (modern) double doors under ornamental semi-circular
fanlight and another doorway with 6-Panel door has been made out of a window space.
For return frontage see ST MARY'S PLACE. Return elevation. 3 storeys, 7 windows,
similar build to main front, and also containing cartouche in centre of top floor.
3rd floor windows have replaced glazing bars. Round-arched rusticated doorway
with double doors of 4 panels, 2 panels above and semi-circular glazed fanlight.
Nos 1 to 3(consec) form a group
Also th return elevation form a group with No 1 to 4 (consec) and the Church of
St Mary St Mary's Place.
Listing NGR: TF0305407017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings