This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1882 / 51°11'17"N
Longitude: -3.8979 / 3°53'52"W
OS Eastings: 267464
OS Northings: 144931
OS Grid: SS674449
Mapcode National: GBR KY.5JC3
Mapcode Global: VH4MG.DD6G
Plus Code: 9C3R54Q2+7V
Entry Name: Group of 7 Chest Tombs and 2 Headstones with Accompanying Footstones Circa 3-10 Metres South of South Porch of Church of St Petrocks
Listing Date: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306606
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97102
Location: Parracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Parracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Parracombe Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
PARRACOMBE CHURCHTOWN, Parracombe
SS 64 SE
6/124 Group of 7 chest tombs and two
- headstones with accompanying
footstones circa 3-10metrea south
of south porch of Church of St.
7 chest tombs and two headstones with accompanying footstones. C18 and early C19.
The chest tombs have ashlar plinths, except one which has a brick plinth and one is
rendered. All have slate slabs with incised decoration. The gravestones are also
of slate. Tomb of Mary Lock (d.1716) and members of the Crang family has cherubs
bust to head,hour glass, skull and cross bones to base, with headstone affixed to
east end with inscription to sons and daughters of Richard Crang. Tomb of John
Crang (d.1793) and wife (d.1819) with figure of angel blowing a trumpet to head.
Tomb of John Crang (d.1833) and other members of his family by Nichols, with similar
motif to head. Tomb of Francis Lock (d.1712) and family with angels bust to head,
skull and hour glass to base. Tomb of Elizabeth Blackmore (d.1759) and other
members of Blackmore and Dovell families with urns to top corners. Tomb of Samuel
Blackmore (d.1846) and family by Watts. Tomb to Eleanor Blackmore (d.1831) and
family also by Watts with angel figure blowing trumpet to head.
Headstones with accompanying footstones with inscriptions to Richard Crang (d.1802)
and to Richard and Elizabeth Blackmore (d.1842 and 1832 respectively).
Listing NGR: SS6746444931
Other nearby listed buildings