This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5262 / 52°31'34"N
Longitude: 1.5897 / 1°35'22"E
OS Eastings: 643597
OS Northings: 298097
OS Grid: TM435980
Mapcode National: GBR YS7.LR4
Mapcode Global: VHM65.HRSR
Entry Name: Church of St Matthias
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227017
Location: Haddiscoe, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Haddiscoe
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thorpe-next-Haddiscoe St Mathias
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HADDISCOE CHURCH ROAD, HADDISCOE
TM 49 NW THORPE
7/15 Church of St. Matthias
Parish church. C11 with later additions and fenestration, chancel rebuilt
1838. Flint with limestone dressings; red brick chancel. Thatched nave;
slate roofs over chancel and south porch. West tower, nave, chancel, south
porch. West tower late C11 with later upper stages. Lower stage has small
round-headed lancets with head-corbels above, on north, south and west sides.
Restored west window with semi-circular head. At the junction with the nave
wall on the north and south sides, a flint pilaster shaft with tapered stone
capping and corbel head. Tall, shallow blank arcading to upper stage. C12
bell stage with two-light bell openings: semi-circular roll-moulded arches,
shafts with cushion capitals, the central shaft ringed. The openings now
reduced by raising the cill in red brickwork. C15 embattled parapet in flint
chequerwork. C14 south porch with diagonal gable buttresses; blocked 2-
light east and west windows with quatrefoil heads. Doorway with engaged
polygonal shafts and capitals, the outer arch with double wave moulding.
The south nave wall has two 2-light Perp. windows, the eastern window renewed
or much restored. Red brick chancel of 1838 with large staged buttresses
and later Gothic Revival windows, the south-east window opening blank. Window
openings have rubbed brick arches with keystones. East gable with diagonal
buttresses, the gable apex and parapet rendered over. 3-light east window
with cusped 'Y' tracery. North wall of chancel blind. North wall of nave
has a C13 lancet and a 2-light window with 'Y' tracery. Simple semi-circular
headed north doorway blocked in flintwork. Plain south doorway with roll-
moulded arch. Interior: nave and chancel roofs renewed, probably C19, with
boarded ceilings. Remains of rood stair in north-east corner of nave. South-
east nave window set in wide triple-chamfered arch, now partly cut by chancel
arch abutment. In the nave west wall, a C13 double arched recess with a
shelf in one side. Small blocked circular window with splayed reveal at
high level in nave west wall. Monument on north wall of chancel to Thomas
London (d.1661), a tablet with architrave and scroll pediment on consoles.
Font of Purbeck marble; square bowl with four shallow blind arches on each
face, on round stem and four corner shafts, C12.
Listing NGR: TM4359798097
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings