This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2014 / 51°12'5"N
Longitude: -4.0619 / 4°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 256043
OS Northings: 146709
OS Grid: SS560467
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.4JV9
Mapcode Global: VH4MC.K20B
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97008
Location: Berrynarbor, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Berrynarbor
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Berrynarbor St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 54 NE
1/33 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Possibly C11 fabric in reset north transeptal arch, C13 fabric to
chancel, C15/early C16 west tower, south aisle and nave. North transept also
probably rebuilt in C15. Church restored 1862 and 1880, with further alterations in
1889 and chancel restored 1889. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs
with gable ends.
Possibly originally a cruciform plan, remodelled in C15 and comprising west tower,
nave, chancel, north transept, south aisle and south porch.
Impressively tall west tower of 4 stages with embattled parapet, the battlements
pierced with quatrefoils. Projected crocketted corner pinnacles. Setback
buttresses surmounted also with crocketted pinnacles. Shallow rectangular north-
east stair turret. 2-light pointed arched bell-openings. Additional 2-light window
in same style to bell-openings on south side first stage. Large pointed arched
Perpendicular style transomed west window of 4 lights above Perpendicular doorway
with fleuron decoration to the central hollow of the moulded surround.
4 C19 pointed arched Perpendicular style windows of 2 lights to south aisle with
quatrefoil tracery. C15 2-centred arched doorway to south porch with ogee flanking
hollow moulded surround. Slate sundial above dated 1767. Perpendicular unceiled
waggon roof to porch with carved bosses at the intersections. Pointed arched inner
doorway with original framed and ledged door, 6 planks wide. Buttresses with off-
sets to each side of middle window to right of porch and at right end of south aisle
priests doorway below right-hand window. C19 3-light windows to east end of south
aisle and chancel with trefoil, quatrefoil and cinquefoil traceried heads. C19
lancets to each side of chancel, one to south side, 2 to north. C19 3-light
Perpendicular style window to north transept and C19 window of 3 lights to left,2
lights to right of blocked north door to nave.
Interior: unceiled waggon roofs throughout, largely reconstructed in C19, every 4th
rib moulded with carved bosses at the intersections. South arcade of 4 bays with
Pevsner Type A moulded piers and standard leaf capitals, the easternmost pier with 2
canopied niches on north-west and south-west sides. Tall moulded C15 pointed tower
arch. Norman style font with square bowl, scalloped on the underside on short stem.
Trefoil-headed piscina to chancel south wall. C19 nave seating, communion rails.
patterned tiled chancel floor and wrought iron bell-rope guide frame to tower.
Monuments: chancel, north side: wall monuments to Jane, wife of Revd Wm Spencer
(d.1815) by Stephens of Exeter with an oval inscription plate and urn to right; to
Wilham Merricke (d.1595), kneeling figure flanked by Ionic pilasters, skull to top.
Rectangular pilastered plaque with plaster moulded surround to Edward Chichester
with central heraldic shield, initials EC to top corners and "Rector 1725" to base.
Chancel south side. Tablet to Mary Westcott, daughter of the Rector (d.1648) with
elaborate verse. Nave north side: large wall monument to Richard Berry Esq
(d.1645). Nowy-arched head containing heraldic shields. Ionic pilasters flanking
kneeling figures of parents and children facing each other.
2 small slate plaques with inscriptions below. 2 C19 wall monuments to Mary Watts
(d.1814) and husband with verse, and to Richard Norman (d.1796) and other members of
family, both with fluted pilasters, the right-hand monument with elaborate urns to
head flanking angels head and representation of hand holding knife to felled tree to
base. South aisle: wall monument to Joseph Davie Bassett of Watermouth (d.1846) and
other members. Tablet by Kendal of Exeter to Lieut.Col. Harris (d.1814) and semi-
circular headed wall monument to John Bowden (d.1766) and others.
Stained Glass: the majority of windows, except the aisle east window have C19
patterned glass. West window of north aisle to Eleanor Bassett of Watermouth
Listing NGR: SS5604346709
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings