This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5354 / 50°32'7"N
Longitude: -3.567 / 3°34'1"W
OS Eastings: 289044
OS Northings: 71795
OS Grid: SX890717
Mapcode National: GBR P0.JG4D
Mapcode Global: FRA 37FN.06D
Entry Name: Former Stable at Tuckett's Farm
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Last Amended: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85793
Location: Haccombe with Combe, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Haccombe with Combe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Combeinteignhead All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
HACCOMBE-WITH-COMBE LOWER NETHERTON
SX 89 71
15/128 Former stable at Tuckett's Farm
(formerly listed as Farm buildings at
23.8.55 Tuckers Farm including stone basin
(part of horse cider press) but
GV excluding farmhouse)
Stable. Probably C18. Whitewashed plastered cob on stone rubble footings ; thatched
roof with plain ridge, hipped at left end and carried down as a catslide over a
cartshed at the right end.
Plan: Rectangular on plan, the ground floor divided up for loose boxes, the loft
over adapted as a children's playroom in circa 1900. It is not clear whether the
building was originally built as a stable. The lean-to cartshed is a later addition.
Exterior: Single-storey with loft. The south elevation has a loft loading door in
the centre, a blocked window on the ground floor in the centre with a timber lintel,
a slit window in the cob to the left and a slit window with a timber lintel to the
right. The cartshed has large double doors of rough planks with strap hinges. The
north elevation is partly obscured by ivy but has a loft loading door, a window to
the left and a small window to left of centre with evidence of a large blocked
Interior: The ground floor is cobbled with a drain and fitted up with loose boxes
complete with timber troughs and hay racks. The loft, with pegged collar rafter roof
trusses was adapted as a childrens playroom circa 1900 and is unaltered since then.
It preserves several simple, ingenious devices forming a route followed by the
children through the loft : a notched post to climb up to the roof-trusses, on old
canvas hammock slung between 2 trusses and finally a cider barrel with the ends
knocked out, suspended as a chute through which the children dropped on to bales of
hay. Starred as part of a remarkable group of Vernacular Revival and traditional
thatched buildings at Tuckett's Farm.
Listing NGR: SX8904471795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings