This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5977 / 52°35'51"N
Longitude: -2.7491 / 2°44'56"W
OS Eastings: 349358
OS Northings: 300249
OS Grid: SJ493002
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.9HWN
Mapcode Global: WH8C6.RY3Y
Plus Code: 9C4VH7X2+39
Entry Name: Moat House
Listing Date: 31 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307404
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259617
Location: Longnor, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Longnor
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Longnor
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
House. Late C14 with c.1600 and C17 alterations. Timber-framed with plastered infill, partly rebuilt in rendered rubble with painted imitation framing; left-hand end wall rebuilt in dressed grey sandstone and right-hand end wall rebuilt in roughly dressed sandstone and rendered brick; plain tile roof. 1:1:2 framed bays; former open hall of two framed bays to left with narrower screens bay and service bay to left.
Framing: closely-spaced uprights with two rails. Two storeys and gable-lit attic. Stone ridge stack just off-centre to right-with rendered brick shaft and rendered external end stack to right. Three window front; two- and three- light mid to late C19 and C20 wooden and wooden-framed metal casements, ground floor to right with segmental head. C20 nail-studded boarded door off-centre to right with C19 gabled timber-framed porch including cusped angle braces and open sides with cast-iron lattice windows. Probable blocked former first floor window to left with two shaped-headed lights and probable blocked inserted first floor three-light window to right; evidence of a former probably C16 two storey porch in front of screens bay off-centre to left (see mortices in frame posts).
INTERIOR: lower end with large C14 joists, chamfered over former screens passage; c.1600 inserted floor in former two bay hall with chamfered beams; large c.1600 inserted stack with two dressed grey sandstone chamfered Tudor-arched fireplaces; inserted c.1600 moulded doorway in lower end; remains of C14 screen including cusped brace (mortices suggest that this formed one of a pair of open quatrefoil panels flanking central entrance to hall). Two first floor c.1600 chamfered stone fireplaces; old doors throughout. Fine C14 smoke-blackened roof: billet decorated frieze. Trusses have chamfered brackets with moulded capitals, the central hall truss with carved head corbels; moulded main posts and braces to central hall truss with moulded tie beam, queen struts, collar and cusped v-struts; chamfered arch-braced intermediate collar trusses with cusped v-struts. Sets of three chamfered butt purlins with chamfered cusped wind braces; spere truss with queen struts and v-struts. Pairs of purlins with wind braces over lower end.
The house was possibly that built for Edward de Acton, whose descendants occupied it from 1377-1610. It probably extended further at each end, possibly incorporating a cross wing, and formed the centre of a larger group of buildings. The house stands within a large, roughly rectangular moat with a fishpond to the east.
R.C.H.M. report (1974), including photographs, plans and sections.
Listing NGR: SJ4935800249
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings