This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9177 / 52°55'3"N
Longitude: -2.53 / 2°31'48"W
OS Eastings: 364458
OS Northings: 335719
OS Grid: SJ644357
Mapcode National: GBR 7S.N9YS
Mapcode Global: WH9BX.3XHL
Plus Code: 9C4VWF99+3X
Entry Name: Styche Hall
Listing Date: 10 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307449
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260425
Location: Moreton Say, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Moreton Say
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton Say St Margaret Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 63 NW MORETON SAY C.P. STYCHE
5/119 Styche Hall
Small country house, now divided into flats. 1762-6, by Sir William
Chambers for the 1st Lord Clive and bays added and other alterations
by Joseph Bromfield of Shrewsbury in 1796-8 for the Hon. Robert Clive.
Further alterations of c. 1900. Painted brick with hipped plain
tile roof. Square plan. 3 storeys over basement. South-west (garden)
front: rendered chamfered plinth, stone string course between first
and second floors, coved stone cornice and blocking course. Rendered
brick ridge stacks off-centre to left and right. 3:2:3 bays with shallow
recessed centre and pair of later full-height canted bays; glazing bar
sashes with stone cills. Large semi-circular relieving arch over central
segmental-headed first-floor window with architrave,and cut down c.1900
with small balcony. Ground-floor windows and first-floor windows in
bays have been altered c.1900 with round-arched lights in the lower sashes,
(giving the impression that the upper and lower sashes of the windows
have been exchanged). 3 stone steps up to central c.1900 small-paned
half-glazed door with bolection-moulded lower panel, moulded architrave
and panel above. Porch of c.1900 or later consisting of pair of doors
with 3 raised and fielded panels, architrave with cable moulding and
doorcase consisting of Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature and
triangular-pedimented gable. Recessed corners with cable moulding,
and side windows. Panelled soffit. Right-hand return front: 6 bays;
glazing bar sashes (ground-floor sashes with c.1900 alteration as front).
Left-hand return front: 2:2:2 bays with recessed centre; glazing bar
sashes, some painted in imitation. Rear of 2:3:2 bays with central
break. Interior: Circa 1762-6 with alterations of c.1796-8 and c.1900.
Entrance hall: moulded dado rail and cornice. 6 panelled side doors,
each with lugged architrave, frieze and modillion cornice. Pair of
c.1900 small-paned glazed doors in rear wall with radial fanlight and
moulded architrave. Windows with plain scrolled architraves. Right-
hand ground-floor (drawing) room: plain dado with moulded base, and
rail. Rich modillion cornice to elaborate c.1900 elaborate panelled
enriched plaster ceiling. 3 six-panelled doors with egg and dart enrichment,
and each has lugged architrave with egg and dart enrichment, frieze with
scrolled ornament and modillion cornice. Circa 1762 fireplace has
marble surround with egg and dart enrichment, fluted tapered pilasters,
plain frieze, and cornice with bead and reel and egg and dart enrichment.
Panelled window shutters with egg and dart enrichment and architraves
with scrolled shoulders. Left-hand ground-floor (dining) room: dado with
moulded base and rail with egg and dart enrichment. Rich modillion
cornice and c.1900 elaborate enriched plaster ceiling with central oval
panel, vine trails, scrolled ornament etc. 6-panelled doors, each with
egg and dart enrichment, lugged architrave, frieze with scrolled ornament
and cornucopia, and rich moulded cornice. Fireplace has marble surround
with staff moulding, tall scrolled brackets with shells at feet, amphorae,
daggers, sword and torch in frieze, and cornice with beed and reel and
egg and dart enrichment. Panelled window shutters with egg and dart
enrichment and architraves with scrolled shoulders . Staircase hall behind
entrance hall: c.1796-8. Three-flight staircase rising 2 storeys with
landings, open string, moulded nosings, stick balusters with single flute
(2 per tread), moulded handrail and wreathed foot newel with slim columnular
newel post. Moulded cornice with mutules. Oval toplight. Oak back
staircase of c.1762-6 dog-leg with closed string, turned balusters,
columular newel posts and ramped handrail. Left-hand first-floor front
room: carved dado rail and architraves.Enriched plaster frieze. Fireplace
with marble inner surround, lugged architrave,carved scrolls to frieze
and carved cornice. Styche was the family home of the Clive family.
Lord Clive was born in the old timber framed house house in 1725 and
employed Chambers to rebuilt it in 1762-6. It is possible that the
second floor was added in 1796-8, at the same time as the bays. B.o.E.,
p.229; Colvin, pp.142 and 207; H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses
and their Owners, pp.55-7.
Listing NGR: SJ6445835719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings