This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.964 / 51°57'50"N
Longitude: 0.0101 / 0°0'36"E
OS Eastings: 538198
OS Northings: 231415
OS Grid: TL381314
Mapcode National: GBR K8Q.WXP
Mapcode Global: VHHL6.4W6R
Plus Code: 9F32X276+J2
Entry Name: Beauchamps
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Last Amended: 13 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307537
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160376
Location: Wyddial, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
Civil Parish: Wyddial
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hormead with Wyddial
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 33 SE WYDDIAL WYDDIAL
1/155 Beauchamps (formerly listed
19.10.51 as Beauchamps Farmhouse)
House. Circa 1653 for Ralph Beash (VCH (1914) 82), front cased in brick c.1860.
Timber frame exposed in red brick sill (re-using material from demolition of much
of Ardeley Place: RCHM Typescript). Polychrome casing to front of red brick with
white brick dressings and quoins. Steep old red tile roofs. Tall red brick chimneys.
An unusually large internal-chimney, lobby-entry plan house, originally of 2 storeys
and attics with a small cellar, facing S. Symmetrical plan (gabled 2-storeys central
porch built, and passage driven through stack, in C19) and gabled rear projection
at NE and NW each with wide stair rising to attic and a service room on each floor.
Contemporary projecting end chimneys each serve 2 floors and attic with chamfered
3-centred brick arched fireplaces on every floor. E half in service use with large
kitchen served by middle stack with end parlour and pantry beside stair. Unheated
parlour in NW projection behind stair. Hall, and end-parlour with oak scratch
moulded panelling occupy W half. Chambers above correspond with divisions of Gd
floor, each heated in front range. Symmetrical C19 front has 2 bays to each side
of gabled 2 storeys porch defined by pilasters. Large recessed 3-light wooden case-
ment windows with horizontal bars, one on each floor in each bay. Square-headed
moulded labels of stone or stucco over Gd floor windows. Chamfered plinth. Tudor
arched doorway with arched label to entrance with battened door. 2-light casement
window over with label and pierced sinous bargeboard with pendant, to gable. Very
tall red brick chimneys with square shafts linked at head, 4 in middle stack
(rebuilt) and 3 at each end. Exposed timber frame with close studding, and some
straight tension bracing, exposed at sides and rear. Single-storey C19 lean-to
pentice and gabled porch between twin projections. Interior has chamfered axial
beams, clasped-purlin roof and face-halfed bladed scarf joints in wallplates.
Moulded plank door to attic and to closet and room over porch. 2-panel raised and
fielded door with HL hinges to stair off kitchen (stair dismantled). Decorative
H-hinges to 2 tall narrow panelled doors to 'salt cupboards' behind middle stack
on 1st floor. Arcaded C17 overmantle in SW parlour. (RCHM (1911)139: VCH (1914)
80: RCHM Typescript)
Listing NGR: TL3819831415
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings