History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Cardington, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5627 / 52°33'45"N

Longitude: -2.7368 / 2°44'12"W

OS Eastings: 350148

OS Northings: 296348

OS Grid: SO501963

Mapcode National: GBR BK.CLWR

Mapcode Global: WH8CD.XVX8

Plus Code: 9C4VH777+37

Entry Name: Lower Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259575

Location: Cardington, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Cardington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cardington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in



5/34 Lower Farmhouse


Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1677, probably with earlier core,altered
and probably partly demolished c.1810 (datestone); probably extended
at rear in the mid- to late C19. Coursed and uncoursed yellow/grey
sandstone rubble; dressed Hoar Edge Grit sandstone to centre and left
at front; C20 machine tile roof. Irregular baffle-entry U-plan with
projecting gabled cross-wing to left, probably formerly H-plan with
right-hand cross-wing partly demolished c.1810. Two storeys and attic.
Chamfered plinth to centre and left-hand cross-wing, early C19 eaves
with carved stone brackets; external stone end stack (probably formerly
ridge stack) to right with C19 brick top stage and external dressed
brown sandstone or siltstone lateral stack to rear also with C19 brick
top. 2-window front; late C19 and mid-C20 two- and 3-light wooden
and metal casements; C20 boarded door to right. Inverted heart-shaped
datestone in apex of cross-wing gable: "1810". Interior: chamfered
beams with ogee stops; timber framed square-panelled cross-wall in
cross-wing; large open fireplace in central ground-floor room with
dressed sandstone reveals, and three C17 cupboards in wall to left
with panelled doors, one dated: "16:W:R:E:77". The eaves were raised
probably in 1810 (see change in masonry) and a former right-hand cross-
wing was also probably partly demolished at the same time (see slight
projections to right with return of C17 chamfered plinth).

Listing NGR: SO5014896348

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.