This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8386 / 52°50'18"N
Longitude: -3.003 / 3°0'10"W
OS Eastings: 332530
OS Northings: 327253
OS Grid: SJ325272
Mapcode National: GBR 75.T918
Mapcode Global: WH89X.VX58
Plus Code: 9C4RRXQW+CQ
Entry Name: Aston Hall
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Last Amended: 15 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255644
Location: Oswestry Rural, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: Oswestry Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Maesbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 32 NW OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. ASTON PARK
6/168 Aston Hall
Country house, latterly hospital then school, now reverted to domestic
use. 1789-93 with later additions (now demolished) and extensive late C20
alterations. By Robert Mylne for Revd. J. R. Lloyd, reputedly to drawings
by James Wyatt. Sandstone ashlar, low-pitched slate hipped roof
almost concealed by eaves parapet with stone stacks in roof slope to
left and right. Greek Revival style displaying French influence;
present L-plan formed by demolition of rear portion of C18 house and of
late C19 yellow brick service ranges to north and east. 2 storeys,
moulded eaves cornice and cill band; west front: 3:1:3 bays, centre
flanked by attached fluted giant Ionic columns and pilasters; corner
pilasters with oval swagged medallions and round-headed niches on
ground floor; glazing bar sashes throughout, those on ground floor
mainly late C20 replacements; central entrance, which formerly had
late C19 Doric porch (demolished c.1980), now has late C20 glazed
doors with plain segmental tympanum; south front: of 3 bays, each bay
divided by pilasters with decoration identical to that on corner pilasters
of west front; tripartite glazing bar sashes to ground floor with
plain segmental tympana; north front: of 2 bays is entirely a late
C20 reconstruction, render over brick scored in imitation of ashlar
with tripartite sash windows to ground floor; back wall: formerly
an internal wall also has late C20 glazing bar sashes inserted and a
C19 Doric porch brought from Kilhendre Hall, Dudleston (now demolished).
Interior: considerably altered late C20 but retains a large number of
original features, the most notable of which is the main staircase
starting in one flight and returning in two with fine cast-iron balustrade
and galleried landing but with cupola and octagonal lantern removed;
opening off the entrance hall, which has a late C20 round-arched fibreglass
colonnade in front of staircase, are two 3-bay rooms with restrained
Grecian stucco friezes and original and early C19 carved marble fireplaces;
upstairs the fireplaces are mainly C19 or later but many are said to
retain their original cast-iron grates, panelled doors throughout. The
house is set in a fine park with a large lake immediately to west.
B.O.E., pp. 64-5; Colvin 949.
Listing NGR: SJ3253027253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings