History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wiseman's Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8073 / 51°48'26"N

Longitude: 0.1363 / 0°8'10"E

OS Eastings: 547381

OS Northings: 214226

OS Grid: TL473142

Mapcode National: GBR LD4.R82

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.9TXY

Plus Code: 9F32R44P+WG

Entry Name: Wiseman's Cottage

Listing Date: 2 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307915

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160778

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: High Wych St James

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in


(North Side)
No 54 and No 56
(Wiseman's Cottage)
TL 473 142:6/12
C17, extended 1-bay to E in C18 and subdivided. Tall timberframed plastered
house with steep old red tile gabled roof. 3 rooms in line plan to older
part with door opposite great chimney stack between the two W rooms. This
leaves space only for entrance and rear passage to parlour at W. External
winding stair off this passage, now enclosed in modern rear wing. 2
storeys and cellar. Old plank door with iron hinges. Cross-beam and
fireplace lintol in parlour chamfered and stopped. Axial beam to floor
over cellar,walled in English bond brickwork. Chimney terminates in a
square mass at ridge level topped by 2 diagonally set square shafts. E
room of 3 has axial beam and now is part of No 54 with the C18,2 storeys
and attic 1 bay E addition with lower Gd floor level. In older W room,
posts and cross beam and chamfered axial beam exposed. Concave stepped stop
to chamfer. Chimney built at former E gable of older house. Winding stair
in NE corner of new house. S front has modern panelled pargetting and 4
windows. Simple plank doors. 3 light C19 wooden casement windows. John
Rivers established his Nursery in 1725 on land at Wisemans and the house is
still connected with the Nursery.

Listing NGR: TL4738114226

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.