History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wood Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Child's Ercall, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7868 / 52°47'12"N

Longitude: -2.4588 / 2°27'31"W

OS Eastings: 369156

OS Northings: 321126

OS Grid: SJ691211

Mapcode National: GBR 7W.XH88

Mapcode Global: WH9CQ.66FW

Entry Name: Wood Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308058

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260173

Location: Child's Ercall, Shropshire, TF10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Child's Ercall

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Childs Ercall St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 62 SE
10/23 Wood Farmhouse

Farmhouse, now house. Circa 1800. Red brick. 2-span plain tile roof.
3 storeys over basement with parallel range at rear of 2 storeys and gable-
lit attic. Integral brick end stack to left and external brick end stack to
right; integral brick end stack to rear range. 5 bays; segmental-headed
glazing bar sashes with crown glass. First-floor central and left hand
windows with fixed dummy sashes. Central door of 6 beaded flush panels with
margin-light and lozenge-pattern rectangular overlight and doorcase consisting
of panelled pilaster strips, frieze and cornice. Left-hand gable end of 2
bays with rendered blind ground-floor window to left and first-and second-
floor left-hand windows with fixed dummy sashes. Salop fire insurance plate
in gable. Rear: 3 bays; glazing bar sashes. C20 ground-floor windows and
central glazed door. Rear of front range to south-west with first-and second-
floor blind windows. Interior: Early C19 dog-leg staircase with open
string, cut brackets, stick balusters (2 per tread), ramped handrail and
wreathed foot newel. First-floor balustrade on 2 sides. 6-panelled doors
with moulded architraves throughout. Principal rooms with moulded cornice
and reeded soffit. Right-hand ground-floor room with early C19 marble fire-
place surround. The rear range incorporates reused timber framing in internal
cross walls. The rear range appears to be a slightly later addition (see
straight joint to east) and is possibly a rebuilding of or on the sight of an
earlier timber framed range. A coin dated 1730 has been found in the roof
of the front range.

Listing NGR: SJ6915621126

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.