History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lydham Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Lydham, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5034 / 52°30'12"N

Longitude: -2.9877 / 2°59'15"W

OS Eastings: 333055

OS Northings: 289953

OS Grid: SO330899

Mapcode National: GBR B6.HC4C

Mapcode Global: VH75Y.5BDS

Entry Name: Lydham Manor

Listing Date: 2 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308108

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257057

Location: Lydham, Shropshire, SY9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Lydham

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Lydham

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bishops Castle

Listing Text

SO 38 NW
5/143

LYDHAM C.P.
A488 (west side)
Lydham Manor

GV
II

Stable block, now house. Circa 1814-16, probably by John Hiram Haycock
of Shrewsbury for the Rev. Herbert Oakley. Coursed limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings, partially rendered to rear, and hipped slate roof. U-plan
with wall enclosing courtyard to rear. 2 storeys. Deep eaves and 5 stacks.
9 bays on first floor; slightly projecting end bays with triangular pedimented
gables, slightly projecting centre bay with cornice, solid attic with clock
and coping, and wooden cupola with louvred round-arched openings, tented
lead cap, and weathervane. First floor early C19 wooden mullioned and transomed
windows, ground floor glazing bar sashes taken from former Lydham Manor,
now demolished. Large central blocked round-arched carriageway with impost
bands, central door from former house with 6 raised and fielded panels;
sandstone ashlar porch from former house with 2 Corinthian columns, frieze and
cornice, and radial fanlight above. Lydham Manor was formerly known as
Oakeley Park or House; the wings and pavilions of the old house were demolished
in the 1930's and the rest of the house in the 1960's, when the name was trans-
ferred to the stable block. Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British
Architects 1600-1840, John Murray, 1978, P.408; Peter Reid, Burke's and
Savills Guide to Country Houses, Hereford, Salop, Warwicks Worcs 19 0, P.100;
Salop Records Office, 1079/13.

Listing NGR: SO3305589953

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.