This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7261 / 52°43'33"N
Longitude: -2.9547 / 2°57'17"W
OS Eastings: 335617
OS Northings: 314696
OS Grid: SJ356146
Mapcode National: GBR B8.177B
Mapcode Global: WH8BJ.LQ6Z
Entry Name: Stable Block and Attached Walls Approximately 9 Metres to South of Loton Park
Listing Date: 18 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308301
English Heritage Legacy ID: 258933
Location: Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Alberbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 3514; 12/28
ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY, CARDESTON C.P., Stable block and attached walls approx. 9 metres to south of Loton Park
Stable block and attached walls. Dated 1833 and 1835, probably by Thomas
Jones of Chester. Red brick with red sandstone ashlar dressings; plain
tile roof. U-plan; Tudor Gothic style. One storey and attic. Chamfered
plinth, parapeted gables with chamfered stone coping, moulded kneelers
and obelisk finials at feet and apexes; three brick ridge stacks consisting of
pairs of chamfered square shafts with moulded tops. South-west (entrance)
front: chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows with lozenge-pattern
cast-iron casements and returned hoodmoulds; flanking gabled wings with
2-light attic windows and 3-light ground-floor windows; central gabled break
with one-light window and stone shield dated 1835 in tympanum, and large
hollow-moulded Tudor archway; right-hand return front: three windows;
central gabled break with chamfered octagonal clock surround in tympanum,
and smaller flanking gabled semi-dormers with 2-light mullioned windows.
North-west range dated 1833. Section of forecourt wall adjoining stable
block to south-east; red sandstone ashlar on coursed rubble base; L-plan;
chamfered plinth, chamfered coping, ramped up at each end, and square
gate pier to right with trefoil-headed panelled sides and gabled top.
Short section of garden wall adjoining to north-east; c.1870;red brick
with red sandstone ashlar dressings; L-plan; chamfered plinth and chamfered
coping with globe finial at corner and end. Interior of stable block
not inspected. Thomas Jones carried out a remodelling of and extensions
to Loton Park (qv) in c.1830 and c.1838. The stable block forms one side
of the forecourt to the house, opposite the former estate office (qv).
Listing NGR: SJ3561714696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings