This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3631 / 50°21'47"N
Longitude: -3.9158 / 3°54'56"W
OS Eastings: 263835
OS Northings: 53219
OS Grid: SX638532
Mapcode National: GBR Q8.0MWK
Mapcode Global: FRA 28P2.N9B
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308362
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100311
Location: Ermington, South Hams, Devon, PL21
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Ermington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ermington St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 65 SW ERMINGTON ERMINGTON
29/3/60 Church of St Peter and
Parish Church. C13, C14 and C15, although some of the fabric of the Norman church
may survive. Restored by J D Sedding circa 1889. Stone rubble with freestone
dressings and slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one, the chancel C14. The priest's
door on the south side has multi-cusped ogee arch. Perpendicular five-light east
window. C14 north and south transepts with curvilinear and Perpendicular traceried
windows. Long C15 north and south aisles with three-light Perpendicular windows and
four-light Perpendicular east window. Late C15 south door with massive moulded
granite four-centred arch with carved spandrels and label, inside the rear arch is
round. Circa C14 porch in the angle of west end of the south aisle with undressed
slate two-centred arch. The walls all round have buttresses with set-offs. Tall
west tower, circa C13 with thin corner buttresses, each with one set-off. Small
lancet bell-openings, C19 perpendicular west window and embattled parapet on a
corbel-table. Circa early C14 stone needle-spire with conspicuous twist. Spire
rebuilt in 1850s retaining the original twist.
Interior: C15 five-bay north arcade and three-bay south arcade with two further
smaller bays to the chancel aisle all with moulded four-centred arches on monolithic
granite piers, each with four shafts and with hollows in the diagonals, and with
mou.lded capitals and bases. Similar transept arches. Tall undressed slate tower
arch C19 unceiled wagon roofs. Multi-cusped and ogee-headed piscinas in south
transept and south wall of chancel. Another cusped arch piscina in south transept.
Doorways and stairs to rood loft in south aisle. Restored mid C17 wooden rood-screen
with C19 columns replacing balusters and an entablature with carved frieze. Screen in
the tower arch with twisted balusters. Remainder of furnishings late C19 some by
J.D. Sedding, including carved choir stalls, benches, parclose screens, pulpit,
lectern, font cover and large reredos in alabaster depicting the Adoration.
Monuments: William Strashleigh 1583, and wife, in south chapel - tomb chest with
brass effigies. Wall monuments to Adrian Swete 1733 in south aisle, and Margaret
Rich 1675 on south side of nave.
Niche inside porch contains head of C15 cross.
Reference: Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1903 Vol. 35 page 456.
Transactions of Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society 3rd Series Vol. 1 page 56.
Listing NGR: SX6383253218
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings