History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thelbridge Farmhouse and Adjoining Front Garden Walls and Former Pigstys

A Grade II Listed Building in Roborough, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9491 / 50°56'56"N

Longitude: -4.0323 / 4°1'56"W

OS Eastings: 257336

OS Northings: 118600

OS Grid: SS573186

Mapcode National: GBR KS.ND9F

Mapcode Global: FRA 26FL.QX2

Entry Name: Thelbridge Farmhouse and Adjoining Front Garden Walls and Former Pigstys

Listing Date: 16 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91793

Location: Roborough, Torridge, Devon, EX19

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Roborough

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Roborough St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
High Bickington

Listing Text

ROBOROUGH
SS 51 NE
8/177 Thelbridge Farmhouse and adjoining
front garden walls and former
pigstys

GV II

Farmhouse and adjoining garden walls and former pigstys. Dated 1651, remodelled and
enlarged in the mid C19. Rendered, probably over coursed stone rubble, enlarged and
altered in uncoursed stone rubble with red brick dressings, rendered to front. Hipped
C20 slate roof and scantle-slated gable-ended rear wings with catslide roof over
dairy outshut. Brick axial stack and stone end stack.
Plan and development: Mid C19 three-room plan range, facing south-west (ground falls
to right). Central kitchen with front door and parlour to right with axial stack
between, unheated store room to left with loft approached at first-floor level from
the bank at the left-hand end, and rear corridor with a mid C19 staircase in a
projection at the left-hand end and entrance at right-hand end with a porch dated
1651. One-room plan C17 wing projecting at right angles to the rear of the right-
hand end, with an integral end stack. C19 L-plan lean-to outshut in the angle of the
rear wing, that part to the side of the rear wing formerly a dairy. C19 former
pigstys adjoining the gable end of the rear wing. Two storeys with one-storey
outshuts. The main range is probably a mid C19 rebuilding or remodelling of an
earlier, possibly C17, range. The rear wing and the porch appear to be a surviving
fragment of the earlier house. Mid C19 walls enclose the front garden to south-west.
Exterior: Plinth. Symmetrical 5-bay front; mid C19 boxed margin-light sashes with
segmental heads and stone cills. Central first-floor blind window. Second ground-
floor window from left is a small-paned 2-light wooden casement. Central C19 plank
door with beaded wooden frame, segmental head and late C19 or early C20 gabled wooden
porch. C19 plank door in left-hand end bay with beaded wooden frame and segmental
head. External brick steps up to first-floor doorway in left-hand end wall with C19
plank door, brick dressings and wooden lintel. Segmental-headed blind windows on
each floor of right-hand end wall. Right-hand (south-east) side of rear wing has 2
first-floor C19 three-light small-paned wooden casements and ground-floor mid C19
segmental-headed tripartite sash. Doorway to left has a mid C17 nail-studded door
with moulded small panels (top 3 panels glazed) and C17 mitred moulded wooden frame.
Gabled porch with plinth and depressed archway with chamfered square datestone above
inscribed: W
I M
1651
Projecting semi-circular bread oven to the rear gable end, with stone-slated conical
roof and weathering in wall above. Pair of C19 lean-to pigstys to left with 2 plank
doors. Dairy outshut at rear (north-west) of rear wing has 2-light wooden casements
with wooden lintels, the window in the end wall with internal wrought-iron bars.
Outshut at rear of main range has plank door. Adjoining mid C19 uncoursed stone
rubble walls enclosing front garden.
Interior: Central ground-floor kitchen has large open fireplace with mid C19
architrave and bracketed mantelshelf. Bench along front wall and cream hob in rear
wall. Parlour to right of kitchen has complete mid C19 fixtures and fittings,
including fireplace architrave with chamfered edges and roundels at corners (later
C19 cast-iron grate with tiled reveals), ovolo-moulded elliptical-arched recess to
right of fireplace, cupboard in wall opposite, dado rail, and 2 ovolo-moulded
elliptical-arched recesses flanking 4-panelled door, also with ovolo-moulded reveals.
Mid C19 winder staircase at rear of kitchen with stick balusters, turned newel, post,
ramped handrail and plank door at foot. Mid C19 four-panelled doors throughout main
range. Ground-floor room in rear wing has two C17 chamfered cross beams and blocked
fireplace. Dairy with quarry-tiled floors, slate shelves and barred window. Left-
hand first-floor room unplastered. C19 roof over main range with machine-sawn bolted
king-post trusses. C17 roof over rear wing consisting of 3 trusses with straight
principals.


Listing NGR: SS5733618600

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.