History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Bull Hotel and Former Stable Adjoining to the North

A Grade II Listed Building in Ribchester, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.812 / 53°48'43"N

Longitude: -2.5323 / 2°31'56"W

OS Eastings: 365048

OS Northings: 435208

OS Grid: SD650352

Mapcode National: GBR BSRC.K7

Mapcode Global: WH96N.2GF0

Entry Name: White Bull Hotel and Former Stable Adjoining to the North

Listing Date: 25 July 1952

Last Amended: 22 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183039

Location: Ribchester, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Ribchester

Built-Up Area: Ribchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Ribchester St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


8/153 White Bull Hotel and former stable
adjoining to the north
25.7.52 (formerly listed as White Bull Inn
under Church Street)


Public house, probably early C18th. Squared sandstone rubble with slate
roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays, with string course, flat floor drip course,
shaped stone gutter brackets and 2-storey porch to the 2nd bay. The
windows are modern on the ground floor and sashed on the 1st floor,
except for the 1st floor porch windows which are also modern. The
windows now have plain reveals with fragments of old surrounds. The
right-hand ground-floor bay has been reconstructed, with a door and 2
modern shop windows. To their left is a blocked opening with a lintel
dated '1707', possibly re-set. The porch is gabled with coping and
kneelers and carried on 4 Tuscan columns said to be Roman. Its 1st floor
windows, on the front and return walls, have plain stone surrounds. The
blocked attic window has an architrave. The door has a moulded surround.
There are brick chimney caps on the gables and between the 3rd and 4th
bays. The former stable adjoining to the north has a door with plain
stone surround to the right. To its left is a door now blocked to form
a window with chamfered surround dated '1777' on the lintel. On the
1st floor to the left is a circular pitching hole with plain stone surround.

Listing NGR: SD6504835208

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.