This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7635 / 50°45'48"N
Longitude: -3.9163 / 3°54'58"W
OS Eastings: 264947
OS Northings: 97735
OS Grid: SX649977
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.67R8
Mapcode Global: FRA 27P2.82M
Plus Code: 9C2RQ37M+9F
Entry Name: Halford Manor
Listing Date: 8 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93018
Location: Sampford Courtenay, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: Sampford Courtenay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sampford Courtenay St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 69 NW
8/135 Halford Manor
House, may have been built as small manor house. Dated 1615 and there are no
features to indicate an earlier date, partly rebuilt in C19. Partly rendered stone
rubble walls. Gable ended slate roof over a lower level to the left-hand end. 4
brick stacks - 2 axial and one at each end.
Plan: apparently 4-room and through passage plan. To the left of the passage is a
small unheated room, probably a service room, with a short passage behind leading to
the room to its left, likely to have been the kitchen and heated by a gable end
fireplace. Large hall to the right of the passage heated by an axial fireplace at
its higher end. Inner room may originally have been unheated. Behind it a circa
mid C19 service wing was added. Probably at the same time the higher end of the
house, from the passage upwards, had its roof raised and its front wall rebuilt.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 6-window front, the right-hand part is higher
and more regular in appearance due to the C19 rebuild. It has sash window of 12 and
16 panes, the ground floor left-hand one is a replacement. Single light window to
right of centre on first floor with C20 part-glazed door below. At the left-hand
end of this taller part is a C17 single storey gabled porch with roll-moulded
granite doorframe, which has a cranked head. It has scroll stops and incised
scrolls either side of the head with the date 1615 and initials T.H. at the centre.
Square hoodmould above. Contemporary wooden inner doorframe to the house is square
headed and richly moulded with a wide studded plank door. The lower part of the
house to the left has 2 small-paned 2 and 3-light C19 casements, the first floor
rignt-hand one, in half dormer. Small C20 leanto in front of left-hand end. Rear
elevation has C19 wing projecting from left. To its right is original hall window -
a 6-light wooden mullion chamfered in a mounded surround - on the inside the
mullions are moulded. The passage rear doorway has been blocked and to its right is
a C20 1 storey flat-roofed addition.
Good interior: between the passage and the hall is a plank and muntin screen - with
ovolo-moulded muntins on the passage side and more elaborately moulded to the hall.
The fireplace at the higher end of the hall has an ovolo-moulded wooden lintel but
has been built in somewhat. Leading from the passage to the lower end is a wide
double ovolo-moulded doorframe similar to that at the front of the passage. To the
lower room and also at the rear of the small intermediate room is a plank and muntin
screen with high hollow step stops to the muntins. The lower room has a wide
fireplace with wooden lintel which is chamfered with hollow step stops and granite
Roof: no original roof trusses survive, those to the higher part being C19 king-
post trusses whereas those to the lower section are of a more traditional A-frame
form out unlikely to be pre-mid C18.
This was evidently built as a gentry house of considerable quality and is an
interesting example of a one-phase early Cl7 house whose plan and features reflect
Listing NGR: SX6494797735
Other nearby listed buildings