This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8558 / 50°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.0642 / 4°3'51"W
OS Eastings: 254805
OS Northings: 108287
OS Grid: SS548082
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.VJ6M
Mapcode Global: FRA 26CV.4GC
Plus Code: 9C2QVW4P+88
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308852
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93295
Location: Meeth, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: Meeth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Meeth St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 50 NW
3/180 Church of St Michael
Parish Church. Some Norman fabric with C14 and C15 additions, restored and extended in
1893. Stone rubble walls with some large dressed granite blocks to tower. Gable
ended slate roof. Vestry has projecting gable end rubble stack with octagonal stone
ashlar crenellated shaft.
Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, south porch and vestry to north of chancel. The nave
is probably basically a Norman structure judging from its south doorway and a window
in its north wall. The chancel may date from the same time but was extended and
refitted in the restoration of 1893 when the vestry was added on its north side. The
west tower may be a C14 addition and the south porch was built in the C15.
Exterior: 3 stage crenellated tower with plain pinnacles and no buttresses. No west
doorway. 2-light granite mullion window on first stage with segmental heads.
Rectangular stair projection on north side which extends only half way up the tower.
At west end of north wall of nave is probably C20 roundheaded lancet window with
chamfered stone surround. Vestry projects in small wing from north side of chancel.
3-light Perpendicular style east window dating from 1893 restoration, with buttress
below it. On south side of chancel is restored square-headed 2-light window and a 3-
light Perpendicular style restored window to its west. Shallow rectangular rood stair
projection between them. C15 gabled single storey south porch has granite 4-centred
double roll- and hollow-moulded arched doorway with incised scroll stops and
Interior: porch has patterned cobbled floor with date 1818 outlined in design. Partly
restored wagon roof with moulded ribs, carved bosses and crenellated wall plate with
high relief carving on it. Plain C12 south doorway with double roundheaded arch,
outer one chamfered with high relief carved balls and stars around the top. Plain
jambs with imposts. Plain pointed tower arch. C15 wagon roof to nave has moulded
ribs, carved bosses of various designs and trailing foliage design wall-plates.
Chancel has restored boarded wagon roof. C17 semi-octagonal panelled pulpit. Square
Norman font with 4 moulded corner shafts and central stem. It has a C17 wooden
pyramidal cover with finial. On the north wall is a good plaster relief of the royal
arms which has a pediment above and column to either side. Inscription at bottom
reads "Hanibal Jerman and John Tawton. Church wardens in 1704". Slate wall memorial
in tower dated 1611 to Elizabeth Hitchins. Slate wall memorial on south wall of nave
to Samuel Jerman, died 1758 detailing below how he left money for charity.
This is a very simple church but it has some good quality detail and the C19
restoration has added to rather than detracted from the building.
Source: Kelly's Directory - 1906.
Listing NGR: SS5480508287
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings