History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

King Edward Vi Grammar School and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Spilsby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.1741 / 53°10'26"N

Longitude: 0.0931 / 0°5'35"E

OS Eastings: 539993

OS Northings: 366154

OS Grid: TF399661

Mapcode National: GBR KVN.0C0

Mapcode Global: WHJLY.DHK0

Entry Name: King Edward Vi Grammar School and Railings

Listing Date: 28 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308883

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196162

Location: Spilsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Spilsby

Built-Up Area: Spilsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Spilsby St James

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TF 4066-4166
(north side)
7/47 King Edward VI
Grammar School and
Grammar school and railings. Founded 1550. C18, altered 1896.
Red brick in Flemish bond, ashlar dressings, pantile roof with
stone coped gables and gable stack, machine plain tile roof.
Cast iron railings. 2 storey, 4 bay C18 range with plinth, first
floor band, altered C19, with 4 glazing bar sashes to ground
floor set in plain ashlar surrounds with keystones and deep
cills. Inscribed on one "Grammar School, founded 1550". To
first floor 4 glazing bar sashes with yellow brick segmental
heads. To right a single storey block of 1896 with planked door
and 2 small paned overlights set in ashlar surround with deeply
dentillated cornice. To right a gabled bay with tripartite
window arrangement of glazing bar sashes and overlights in flush
wide ashlar surround with above a segmental headed inscription
panel recording the rebuilding in MCMXIV. The later addition to
the rear is not included in this description. In front of the
building are 10 cast iron fluted columns with mushroom knops and
chains, made by Gibson of Stamford.

Listing NGR: TF3999366154

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.