This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8896 / 50°53'22"N
Longitude: -3.2201 / 3°13'12"W
OS Eastings: 314276
OS Northings: 110726
OS Grid: ST142107
Mapcode National: GBR LW.S81H
Mapcode Global: FRA 464R.99R
Plus Code: 9C2RVQQH+VX
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86574
Location: Dunkeswell, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Dunkeswell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dunkeswell St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 11 SW
1/19 Church of Holy Trinity
Church, built on the site of Dunkeswell Abbey Church. 1842. Local stone and flint
rubble with Hamstone dressings and detail; slate roof.
Plan: nave with narrow south aisle, chancel, and west end porch and vestry. Single
phase church in Transitional style.
Exterior: the nave and chancel are under a continuous roof. Both gable-ends have
shaped kneelers and coping, the east end has an apex cross and the west end gable is
surmounted by a stone polygonal bellcote on corbels with a steeply-pitched spire-
like pyramid stone roof and apex cross. The corners have angle buttresses. There
are 5 windows on the north side and 4 on the south side, all lancets under a
continuous hoodmould. The west end porch contains a 2 centred arch with moulded
surround with hoodmould and block labels; it is flanked by double lancets. Above in
the gable is an oculus.
Interior: the soutn doorway is a 2-centred arch with a double-chamfered surround.
The nave has an open 4-bay roof of arch-braced trusses springing from stone corbels
carved with armorial devices. Tall chancel arcn has a chamfered surround. The 4-
bay arcade has octagonal-section columns witn capitals carved with stiff-leaf
decoration. The walls are plastered. The floor is tiled and includes, in the
sanctuary, an assemblage of medieval encaustic tiles from the old abbey church.
Reredos has a Gothic style Beerstone blind arcade. Plain oak altar rail, pulpit,
lectern, and prayer desk some with simple Gothic ornamentation. Pine benches.
Norman style Beerstone font with a large octagonal bowl with a band of fret pattern.
No memorials. However there is an ancient stone coffin which was discovered when
the church was built. It may be the coffin of the abbey founder, William Lord
Brewere, who was buried here in 1226. There are painted commandment and prayer
boards. The glass is original.
Source: Devon SMR and P. J. Weddell Dunkeswell, Devon Religious Houses Survey
Report No. 11. (1981)
Listing NGR: ST1427610726
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings