This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7918 / 51°47'30"N
Longitude: 1.0826 / 1°4'57"E
OS Eastings: 612681
OS Northings: 214840
OS Grid: TM126148
Mapcode National: GBR TQW.QHL
Mapcode Global: VHLD3.Q768
Entry Name: St Clere's Hall
Listing Date: 29 April 1952
Last Amended: 4 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120006
Location: St. Osyth, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: St. Osyth
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: St Osyth Saints Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ST. OSYTH ST. CLERE'S LANE
TM 11 SW
St. Clere's Hall (Formerly
29.4.52 listed as St Clairs Hall in
Spring Road) I
Aisled Hall and crosswings. C14 with some C16 alterations and additions to
crosswings and later alterations and additions. Exposed timber frame. Red
plain tiled roofs. Both 2 storey crosswings originally jettied at first floor
level, the right now underbuilt but with jetty to gable supported by end
brackets. Arched bracing to left crosswing. 3 light casements to crosswing
first floors, that to right with transom and pightle hooks and a similar window
to ground floor. Moulded jetty bressumers. Ground floor left crosswing with
central C18 small paned bow, 3 light and 4 light mullions to right and left.
The hall with right 4 light and left 2 light windows. C20 door, moulded
surround, carved spandrels. To the rear of the hall is a later tall
weatherboarded turret. Off centre red brick chimney stack to aisled hall, 2
external stacks each to right and left crosswings, that to front left, stepped
with 2 restored octagonal shafts. Red brick 2 storey porch to rear of left
crosswing. Single storey lean-to to right crosswing. The C16 red brick
extension to the left crosswing and has a gardrobe incorporated in the chimney
stack. Internally, the 2 bay aisles remain, the great octagonal posts with
moulded capitals and bases, arched braces to tie beams and side plates.
Reversed eaves assembly. Stop splayed scarf joint with square vertical butts,
bridles and edge pegs. Side purlin roof. Radiocarbon dated to circa 1350.
Remains of the screen in the west wall and a crenellated wall plate on the east
wall. Staircase incorporates C17 work. Large red brick fireplace with mantel
beam over. Various original windows throughout the house. East wing, of 2 bays
originally jettied at both ends, halved and bridled top plate scarf, 2 armed
elongated octagonal crown post roof. The wing was later extended to south in
two phases. Moated site. C.A. Hewett The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700.
Listing NGR: TM1268114840
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings