This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0222 / 51°1'19"N
Longitude: -4.5255 / 4°31'31"W
OS Eastings: 222976
OS Northings: 127788
OS Grid: SS229277
Mapcode National: GBR K3.HTN1
Mapcode Global: FRA 16DD.YKV
Entry Name: Hartland Point Lighthouse
Listing Date: 19 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91201
Location: Hartland, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Hartland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Hartland St Nectan
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 22 NW
1/134 Hartland Point Lighthouse
Lighthouse. 1872 - 1874. Engineer was Mr. Douglas (afterwards Sir James Douglas),
surveyor Mr. Beasley and built by Mr. Yerward of Wales. Rendered stone which was
hewn from the blue slatey rock on the site. Circular tower 57' high and 120' above
sea level. Square 2 storey building attached. A substantial part of the associated
building was demolished circa 10 years ago (surveyed in 1988).
Previous to the erection of the lighthouse the site was totally inaccessible and a
new road had to be built, started in 1871 The foundation stone of the tower was-laid
in November 1872 and during construction a sealed bottle containing the names of
those present, some current newspapers and a few coins were built into a cavity.
The light was fixed by Messrs Chance Bros of Birmingham - a revolving dioptric light
giving red and white flashes every 30 seconds visible from a distance of 17 miles.
The opening ceremony took place on July 1st 1874 when Lady Stuckley of Hartland
Abbey lit the lamp.
Source: Hartland Lighthouse - R. Pearse Chope. Hartland Chronicle July 1905
Listing NGR: SS2297627788
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings