This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4665 / 50°27'59"N
Longitude: -4.1206 / 4°7'14"W
OS Eastings: 249593
OS Northings: 65109
OS Grid: SX495651
Mapcode National: GBR NX.MWZT
Mapcode Global: FRA 278T.DJC
Plus Code: 9C2QFV8H+HP
Entry Name: Bickham House
Listing Date: 30 May 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309270
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92618
Location: Buckland Monachorum, West Devon, Devon, PL6
Civil Parish: Buckland Monachorum
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 46 NE
3/119 Bickham House
Country house. Reputedly 1876, which is stylistically appropriate. C20 additions.
Walls are of dressed limestone blocks of varying sizes. Hipped slate roof with
sprocketted eaves, gabled roof to rear of wings; wing at right-hand side has
stepped gable at front. 2 symmetrical axial stacks to front block of dressed
limestone blocks and 1 to each rear wing. Similar tall gable and stack to later
wing with C20 axial stack.
Plan is central block with parallel rear wings at either side. Main block has large
central entrance hall with stairs at rear. Opening off this hall are 2 principal
front rooms and 2 side rooms to their rear. Subsidiary rooms in the wings which in
the right-hand wing were for service purposes. A further small wing was added
probably in the early C20 at the rear of the right-hand wing; it was extended in
the later C20.
2 storeys with attic. Symmetrical 5-window front of original 18-pane hornless
sashes, the 2 first-floor left-hand windows have small blind hoods. Moulded stone
architraves to windows with slightly projecting cornice to ground floor ones
incorporated in a flat band running above them. At centre on the ground floor is
wide segmental arch with projecting moulded imposts which elads to recessed porch.
Original glazed and panelled door is divided by pilasters from similar flanking
panels with 3 glazed panels above.
The 3 second-floor windows are dormers of 2-light 16-pane sashes. Dentilled stone
cornice below eaves which extends around the 3 principal fronts. The left-hand
facade is similar but not quite symmetrical due to differing positions and widths of
first floor windows and probably original 3-light ground floor bay window to the
right. The right-hand facade also has slightly irregular fenestration with a
central ground floor bay window which may have been inserted. Projecting from its
right-hand end is the circa early C20 addition which extends to the right.
At the rear later single storey additions have been built on in front occupying the
space between the 2 wings. The original stair window at the rear of the main block
is under a weatherboarded gable. It is of 32 panes and the top 4 lights have
segmental heads. In the gable above is a circular window.
Interior: The entrance hall retains its original large open well staircase with
open string, fluted column newels alternate barley twist and fluted balusters and
wreathed handrail. Carved tread ends. Fielded panelled dado with intermediate
Ionic fluted pilasters opposite the newels. The stair window has stained glass with
a leaf design in the style of William Morris. Otherwise not many original internal
features survive; the majority of the fireplaces were brought in the later C20 from
Maristow House in Tamerton Foliot parish (q.v.). One original first floor
fireplace, however, is of an unusual design with a chimneypiece within a larger
fireplace opening which has a dentilled cornice.
This was built as a good quality house of a fashionable design which preserves quite
well its external appearance and internal room layout.
Listing NGR: SX4959365109
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings