This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5236 / 53°31'24"N
Longitude: -2.49 / 2°29'23"W
OS Eastings: 367613
OS Northings: 403104
OS Grid: SD676031
Mapcode National: GBR CW1P.QM
Mapcode Global: WH980.QPHL
Entry Name: Obelisk Adjacent to South-East Corner of Church of St. John the Baptist
Listing Date: 15 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213475
Location: Wigan, M46
Electoral Ward/Division: Atherleigh
Built-Up Area: Atherton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Atherton and Hindsford
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
ATHERTON MARKET PLACE
SD 60 SE
2/7 Obelisk adjacent
corner of Church
of St. John the
Obelisk. 1781. Probably erected for Robert Vernon Atherton.
Restored 1867. The shaft, largely dating from 1867, has sunk
panels in each face. It stands on a rusticated pedestal and
stylobate. Marks the site of a former ancient fair but still
acts as a prominent focal point.
Listing NGR: SD6761303104
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings