This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.665 / 50°39'53"N
Longitude: -4.5372 / 4°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 220786
OS Northings: 88106
OS Grid: SX207881
Mapcode National: GBR NB.7JC9
Mapcode Global: FRA 17D9.S7N
Entry Name: Church of St Gregory
Listing Date: 22 November 1960
Last Amended: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68093
Location: Treneglos, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Treneglos
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Jacobstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 28 NW
7/203 Church of St Gregory (previously
22.11.60 listed as Church of St Werburgh)
Parish church dedicated to St Gregory. Norman origins, extended in late C15 or early
C16 and tower rebuilt in 1872. Granite ashlar south porch and south wall of nave.
Stone rubble chancel, snecked stone with granite quoins in north aisle and roughly
snecked stone west tower.
Plan: Nave, chancel, 4-bay north aisle, south porch and west tower. The church has
Norman origins with Norman font and tympanum. North aisle added in circa late C15 or
early C16 and south wall of nave and porch added in C16. Tower rebuilt in 1872.
Exterior: C19 west tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth and strings and parapet
rebuilt, the croceted finials reused from the earlier tower. Stair turret on
north. No west door, C19 3-light Perpendicular west window and 2-light belfry
openings. Complete late C15 or early C16 Perpendicular tracery to north aisle with
moulded basket arch to north door and canted rood loft stair turret towards east end.
C19 east window to chancel. Cusped 1-light window in south wall of chancel and two
circa C16 Perpendicular 3-light windows in nave. C16 porch with outer 4-centred
roll-moulded arch with hood mould, C16 waggon roof and C16 roll-moulded 4-centred
granite arch to south door with Norman tympanum above. The tympanum probably depicts
two lions facing each other with a stylized tree in the centre.
Interior: C19 plastered walls with remains of red and blue colouring in chancel;
possibly distemper. C19 roofs. 4-bay granite arcade to north aisle with type A
(Pevsner) piers with moulded caps and bases and moulded 4-centred arches. Remains of
rood loft stair modified to provide steps up to C19 pulpit. C19 altar table and
rails and simple C19 pews. Gothic detailing to organ case. Norman font of circa
1100 (Sedding): Round bowl and shaft with square upper part of base decorated with
carved heads on corners. 4 engaged round squat shafts forming lower part of base.
stocks at west end of church. Gas light fittings.
Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970.
Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall.
Listing NGR: SX2078688106
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings