History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Loughton, Milton Keynes

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.033 / 52°1'58"N

Longitude: -0.7805 / 0°46'49"W

OS Eastings: 483753

OS Northings: 237881

OS Grid: SP837378

Mapcode National: GBR D08.FJ0

Mapcode Global: VHDT6.F579

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310657

English Heritage Legacy ID: 45840

Location: Loughton & Great Holm, Milton Keynes, MK5

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Loughton & Great Holm

Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Watling Valley, Milton Keynes

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Shenley Church End

Listing Text

SP 83 NW LOUGHTON CHURCH LANE

3/53 Church of All Saints

17.11.66

GV II*

Parish Church. C13-15, restored 1857 and 1886. Stone, nave and S.
chapel lead roofs, chancel old tiles. Embattled W. tower, with C14
2-light belfry windows, deep corner buttresses and additional W.
buttress almost blocking the W. window. S. porch, aisle and lady chapel
C15 with offset buttresses, 4-light windows with some old glass in
the heads. Interior: nave arcade of 2 bays continued with I bay
between the chancel and S. chapel at E. end of the aisle. At the W. end
of the nave are 2 transitional lancets, the tower arch is C14 supported
on piers with 3 shafts with hood mould on corbels of carved heads. E.
window of 2 lights, probably C13. Font also probably C13. Monuments:
In the chancel is a brass to Hugh Parke, Rector, 1514, and on the S. wall
a monument to Robert Crane, 1672, Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge,
and son of John Crane, Clerk of the Green Cloth to King Charles II who
died in 1660, a panel in an architrave surround with scroll base, scroll
pediment and cartouche of arms. Nearby is a monument to Mary, daughter of
Sir Thomas Tresham, wife of John Crane, d. 1624, a panel in eared architrave,
entablature and cartouche of arms. On the W. wall of the S. aisle is an
early C18 monument to the Hanstrapp family, a draped cartouche with swags,
arms above and angels peeping out of the drapery on either side.
RCHM II.p.181. MON.1.


Listing NGR: SP8375337881

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.