This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1165 / 50°6'59"N
Longitude: -5.4781 / 5°28'41"W
OS Eastings: 151450
OS Northings: 29841
OS Grid: SW514298
Mapcode National: GBR DXVC.PJ4
Mapcode Global: VH130.0B8J
Entry Name: The Church of Saint Michael
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310728
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69965
Location: St. Michael's Mount, Cornwall, TR17
Civil Parish: St. Michael's Mount
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
MARAZION ST MICHAELS MOUNT
SW 53 SW
1/55 The Church of Saint Michael
Priory church, later parish church now chapel. Circa 1135 built for Bernard of Le
Bec, remodelled and mostly rebuilt in the C14 following damage by earthquake in 1275,
some C15 work and restored by Piers St Aubyn circa late C19. Granite ashlar and
granite rubble with granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs over nave and
slightly higher chancel and choir roof. Embattled parapets.
Plan: nave, central tower and choir/chancel. Organ at west end. Former Lady Chapel
adjoins north east corner converted to part of the house (St Michaels' Mount qv)
circa 1760. Also adjoins the house at the west end. Tower has stair in north east
corner with 'St Michaels' Chair', a medieval lantern cross, at the top. Very thick
walls throughout, built on bed rock. Cell under south-east corner where a 7' long
human skeleton was found.
Exterior : C14 and earlier walls, C14 or C15 windows.and doorways. Parapets and
copings rebuilt in the C19. 2 stage tower, ie top stage above nave/chancel parapet
North wall: four 2-light traceried windows : 2 for the chancel, 1 for the tower (and
to upper stage) and 1 for the chancel. 3 north doorways : 1 to the crypt far left, 1
to the chancel and principal doorway right; the chancel and nave doorways are
approached by steps. The nave doorway is freestone with square head within steep 4-
centred arch. 1826 balustrade in front incorporating medieval cross. The tower has
2-light windows with louvred lights. East gable end has rose window over two 2-light
windows. South wall has similar windows to those of the north wall, west gable end
has square rose window in the gable.
Interior : C15 roof structure, restored in the C19. No wall plaster. Stone flagged
Fittings : carved Norman capital as font; fine C19 reredos with C15 alabaster panels;
bells originally 1385 and 1408, restored 1906, and turret clock of circa 1780, in
Glass : much fine C16 and C17 glass.
Organ : 1786 by John Avery of Bristol.
Sources : report by Colonel Drewitt; St Michael's Mount by John St Aubyn; The
National Trust guide pamphlets.
Listing NGR: SW5144929848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings