History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Village Hall and Gatepiers

A Grade II Listed Building in Eston, Redcar and Cleveland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5695 / 54°34'10"N

Longitude: -1.1168 / 1°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 457196

OS Northings: 519718

OS Grid: NZ571197

Mapcode National: GBR NHNL.0R

Mapcode Global: WHD71.TDCT

Entry Name: Village Hall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 29 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311016

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60269

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS6

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Electoral Ward/Division: Eston

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wilton St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Middlesbrough

Listing Text

LAZENBY HIGH STREET, south side.
NZ 51 NE
7/20 Village Hall and gatepiers
- II

School, and schoolmaster's house, now village hall, 1867. Brick with stone
dressings, quoins and continuous plinth. Welsh slate roofs. Stone gable
copings, moulded kneelers and crested ridge tiles on school. Roughly
"L"-plan range. Single-storey, 3-bay school, with 3-stage tower/porch
adjoining left end. Recessed round-headed panelled door in chamfered
surround with carved shouldered head under continuous hoodmould. Short
diagonal buttress at left. Middle stage has chamfered square panel with
shield dated 1867, under hoodmould, and trefoil-headed sash window in left
return. String course between middle and uppermost stage which has paired
small square windows with stop-chamfered surrounds. Brick dogtooth band
below bracketed eaves of steeply-pitched hipped roof, sprocketed at eaves,
with louvered gablet bell openings, and fancy iron ridge cresting. School
has chamfered pointed windows, with battered sills and trefoil-headed
sashes, in groups of 2 and 3. Sill string. Iron tie plates and linking bar
above middle window. Iron vane finial at right end. Former schoolmaster's
house adjoins left, at rear of tower: 1½ storeys, one window. 2-light
chamfered-mullioned ground-floor window with segmental-pointed head, and
similar first-floor window in hipped half-dormer, all with sashes. Deep
overhanging eaves with shaped rafter-ends. Hipped roof has transverse ridge
stack with 3 conjoined lozenge shafts. Left return has 3 similar
ground-floor windows and 2 half-dormers. Right return of school has pointed
window with Geometric tracery under hoodmould with carved stops. Late C20
door inserted at left. Circular, louvred opening in octagonal surround
under hoodmould in gable. Rear of school shows reduced external stack with
offsets, and extruded lean-to porch with 4-panel door. Gatepiers at
entrance have chamfered plinth, and gabled cap ornamented with roll
mouldings, blind trefoils and quadrant corbel table.


Listing NGR: NZ5719619718

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.