This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3853 / 50°23'6"N
Longitude: -4.2272 / 4°13'37"W
OS Eastings: 241760
OS Northings: 56303
OS Grid: SX417563
Mapcode National: GBR NS.T00L
Mapcode Global: FRA 2810.T4S
Entry Name: Antony House
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311081
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61677
Location: Antony, Cornwall, PL11
Civil Parish: Antony
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Antony
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 45 NW ANTONY ANTONY PARK
3/22 Antony House
Country House. 1718-1729, attributed to Gibbs by the Rev. Daniel Lysons and Samuel
Lysons in Magna Brittania: Vol III, Cornwall, 1814; master Mason John Moyle of
Exeter. Addition made by Sir Reginald Pole-Carew, removed after 1945. The house has
a brick carcass faced in Pentewan stone ashlar, with hipped slate roof with lead
rolls to hips.
Rectangular double depth plan; at the centre of the south front a large entrance hall
with arcaded area screening it from the stair hall to the right. The hall is entered
through the mid C19 porte cochere. The library is to the left of the stair hall and
the saloon is the central room on the north front. A mid C19 addition was made to
the east side, now demolished; basement service rooms remain, screened by a wall
along the north front, erecting a lower service courtyard to east.
South front of 2 storeys with basement and attic, on plinth, with bandcourse,
rusticated pilasters to sides, 3:3:3: bays. The central 3 bays are broken forward
with pediment and cornice, all windows 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and
first arches with voussoirs; 3 dormers to right and left of pediment, all gabled,
central ones with segmental pediments, all with sashes. The basement has three 2-
light casements to right and left, also with first arches with voussoirs. Central
single storey porte cochere, with Tuscan columns; this was added in the mid C19.
Within the porte cochere, a recessed round-arched doorway, moulded, with keystone and
imposts, half-glazed door with fanlight, French windows on each side.
The east side is rendered, with pilasters, band course and cornice, 3 sashes at first
floor and 3 similar dormers, C19 additions at ground floor level with porch, casement
windows and flat roofs. The west side is 5 bays wide, all windows sashes with
central half-glazed door with 9-pane overlight. As other facades, with plinth, band
course, pilasters, cornice, 3 dormers; basement has two 2-light casements to left and
raised terrace to right with wrought iron screen. Attached to right, wall forming
rear of arcade for forecourt buildings, with blind window. Fine set of 4 lead
rainwater heads with downpipes. The north front is of 3:3:3 bays, with 3 central
bays broken forward under pediment, all windows sashes. Central bay has window right
and left of doorway, a round-arched opening with moulded arch, imposts and keystone,
panelled and glazed double doors with fanlights, pilasters and cornice carried
forward over pediment. 6 dormers as to south. 4 rows of rendered and lined out
stacks with caps. Lead rainwater heads to sides of central bays. The basement
storey has three 2-light casements to right and left, with central flight to 4
granite steps, with low flanking walls, wrought iron screen along walls, about one
metre high. This forms a terrace, with an archway underneath to each side.
Interior Very fine unalteredearly C18 interior. The hall and principal rooms on the
ground floor are panelled in 6ak, the first floor rooms panelled in pine, some
painted. The staircase is in the inner hall, open well with barley-twist turned
balusters and columnar newels, retaining the original light fittings of glass globes
on shaped brass arms. Marble chimneypieces to each room, of different coloured
marble, bolection-moulded. The central corridor at first floor is also panelled,
with service stair at each end giving access to the attic storey. For further
details and illustrations see sources.
(Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Trinick, M.: Antony
House 1985. Country Life, September 1933. Connoisseur, March 1959. Anthony H'ouse
guide book, 1954).
Listing NGR: SX4176256302
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings