History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Swanwick, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0747 / 53°4'28"N

Longitude: -1.3979 / 1°23'52"W

OS Eastings: 440432

OS Northings: 353217

OS Grid: SK404532

Mapcode National: GBR 7DK.7DB

Mapcode Global: WHDG2.HZJ8

Plus Code: 9C5W3JF2+VR

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 25 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311140

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79160

Location: Swanwick, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE55

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Swanwick

Built-Up Area: Alfreton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Swanwick St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Swanwick

Description


SK 45 SW SWANWICK DERBY ROAD
(east side)

4/118 Church of St Andrew

II

Church. 1859-60 by Benjamin Wilson of Derby with tower by Naylor, Sale and Woore
for Sir Francis Wright, of 1902. Coursed squared rock faced sandstone with ashlar
dressings, slate roofs with lapped stone coped gables on moulded kneelers, plus
ridge crosses. 4 bay nave with north and south aisles, and north tower, also
2 bay chancel. Double chamfered plinth throughout. Gabled west elevation of
nave has central moulded pointed doorcase, with inner keel moulding on nookshafts,
and hoodmould with head stops. Continuous stepped stringcourse. Above a large
pointed 4-light Geometrical traceried window and to top of gable a large head
corbel supporting the ridge cross. Stepped angle buttresses to corners, and
beyond to either side recessed aisles, each with a 2-light Geometrical traceried
pointed window and stepped buttress to corner. South aisle with four similar
2-light windows to south and another to east, plus stepped buttresses between
bays and to either end. Chancel has another similar 2-light window to south
with two flat headed 3-light windows below, with ogee headed lights. East elevation
has pointed 3-light window with Geometrical tracery, flanked by stepped corner
buttresses. Above in nave gable is a small Geometrical traceried pointed window.
All windows have hoodmoulds with head stops and all except north aisle windows
are below relieving arches. North elevation of chancel has similar 2-light window
as that to south with similar 3-light flat headed window below. To west is the
vestry with steps up to pointed east door and Caernavon arched doorcase below.
Pointed 2-light window with Geometrical tracery and hoodmould with head stops
to north and two similar windows beyond to west in north aisle. Three stage
tower has gabled C20 addition to east with 4-light mullion window, stepped full
height angle buttresses, deep moulded plinth and chamfered stringcourses between
stages. Deeply moulded pointed doorcase to north has continuous hoodmould with
large foliage ogee finial and double doors with Art Nouveau ironwork. Above
to either side there are pairs of shields. Buttresses have 1902 lanterns in
Art Nouveau style. West side of tower has circular staircase tower with slit
windows up to the second stage. Also to second stage, west side has trefoil
headed lancet with hoodmould and a clockface, and north side has similar clockface,
with a pointed 2-light Geometrical tracery window below ogee hood. Bell stage
has 3-light louvred openings, with shields in trefoil headed panels to base,
set in wide double chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds with large foliage stops.
Eaves stringcourse with angled corner gargoyles and central angel corbels supporting
triangular pilasters with pinnacles. Embattled parapets with crocketed corner
finials. Interior has 4 bay north and south arcades of moulded pointed arches
on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Wide chamfered chancel arch and moulded
semi-circular arch with soffit on nookshafts and large keystone, in to the tower.
Cavetto moulded door from chancel into vestry. Fittings all late C19 including
octagonal stone font. One large wall monument to Francis Wright with Gothick
aedicule, c1880.


Listing NGR: SK4043253217

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.