This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7144 / 51°42'51"N
Longitude: -0.7731 / 0°46'23"W
OS Eastings: 484861
OS Northings: 202456
OS Grid: SP848024
Mapcode National: GBR D44.HCF
Mapcode Global: VHDVR.K55K
Entry Name: Hampden House
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46299
Location: Great and Little Hampden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP16
Civil Parish: Great and Little Hampden
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Hampden
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 80 SW GREAT AND LITTLE HAMPDEN GREAT HAMPDEN
5/29 Hampden House
Mansion. Late C16 hall range with E. cross wing and C17 extension to W. Hall
incorporates C14 arched doorway with C15-early C16 porch tower. House
remodelled c. 1740-1746 in Gothick style with W. porch, extensions to E. wing
and kitchen ranges to N. Interior decoration dates from 1740s and 1750s,
with early C20 alterations. Home of the Hampden family until 1754, and
then of their descendants the Trevors and the Hobarts, later Earls of
Buckinghamshire. Gothick remodelling executed for the last John Hampden.
C16 and C17 parts are of red brick with blue diaper-patterning; flint and
stone porch tower; remainder brick. House completely rendered mid C18
but now stripped except for N. and E. fronts, S.E. end, porch tower and
W. porch. Old tile roofs hidden by C18 rendered battlements with moulded
stone coping, and rendered Gothick frieze below. Brick chimneys, some rendered,
with diagonal shafts flanking rows of square shafts. 2 - 3 storeys.
E. front has 3 - storey central section of 5 bays, flanking 2-storey bays
with bowed projections, and 2 further bays at each end, also of 2 storeys.
Stone quoins, plinth and band courses, the central section having a parapet
with stone coping, ball finials and pair of heraldic griffins. Semi-
circular arched windows with stone keyblocks and springers, the ground
floor with early C20 wooden cross casements, the first floor with C19 sashes,
the second floor with C18 sashes. 2 right bays altered to stone cross
windows. Blind attic window panels in parapets. Central C20 double doors
with C18 stone Doric porch; C20 door to each bowed projection.
Flanking curved brick walls with 5 blind arches of bonded flint, each wall
with another arch to return. One open arch in S. wall. Gothick arcade
along W. side of wing has 7 bays of arched casements with leaded cross
windows above and semi-decagonal arched doorway at S. end. Slightly
asymmetrical S. front has 7 bays of cross windows, the left bays a little
irregular, and paired leaded attic casements. Similar windows in projecting
corner-bays. Off-centre porch has stone battlements with cross-slits and
machicolations, altered first floor window, and C15-C16 moulded 4-centred
arch with C20 doors. To each side of porch are 2-light traceried.windows,
heavily restored, and other altered openings.
W.end remodelled into Gothick porch 1742, the centre bayrecessed with
battlemented gable over tall pointed arch. 3-bay Gothick fenestration
with ogee and 2-centred arches, Central moulded shallow arch; arched inner
doorway with triple shafts and shuttered half-glazed doors.
Kitchen ranges have fine wooden Gothick doorcase, reset in C20 porch, and small
Gothick porch with arched doorway and heraldic shields to centre of N. front.
Interior: Hall has gallery with late C17 balustrade, and roof from C15 barn
at Great Kimble, installed c. 1917. C17 staircase in W.wing; some C16-C17
stone fireplaces. Main staircase is probably mid C18 but of peculiar C17
character with arcaded balustrade and strapwork ceiling. E.wing has series
of mid C18 ground floor state rooms with fine plaster ceilings and marbled
stone and wooden fireplaces, the central room having a marble fireplace
with carved rustic scenes. S.room originally of 2-storey height with coved
ceiling. Small dining room adjacent to N. has semi-circular alcoves and
plaster drops of fruit and flowers. Bed alcove with Ionic pilasters in
room to N. of centre. Early C20 screen of columns between N.rooms. Another
bed alcove in first floor room.
Documented in the Earl of Buckinghamshire's collection, Bucks Records Office.
Listing NGR: SP8486102456
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings