History in Structure

Trehannick Farmhouse and service buildings to rear

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Teath, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.5814 / 50°34'53"N

Longitude: -4.735 / 4°44'6"W

OS Eastings: 206468

OS Northings: 79312

OS Grid: SX064793

Mapcode National: GBR N2.DMK7

Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZJ.F59

Plus Code: 9C2QH7J7+HX

Entry Name: Trehannick Farmhouse and service buildings to rear

Listing Date: 17 December 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311494

English Heritage Legacy ID: 68594

ID on this website: 101311494

Location: Treburgett, Cornwall, PL30

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Teath

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Teath

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Tagged with: Farmhouse

Find accommodation in
Saint Teath


SX 07 NE

Trehannick Farmhouse and service buildings to rear


Farmhouse and service buildings to rear. Possibly early C17 or earlier, partly remodelled in later C18, partly demolished prior to 1838 and remodelled and extended in mid C19. Slate roof with hipped ends and raised eaves to front range with ashlar stone rectangular end stacks. Gable end to rear wing on right with scantle slate roof with circa early C17 moulded granite end stack and rendered side lateral stack replacing early C17 moulded granite stack. Gable end to stair projection to rear centre and gable end to extension on right hand rear wing.

Plan: house comprises front range of two room plan heated by end stacks with wide central entrance hall. Stair in projection to rear of entrane hall. Wing of one room and passage plan to rear of right hand room with further service range of one room plan beyond. Two service rooms in outshot to rear of left hand room. The earlier plan is uncertain and the house was probably much larger and of considerable status. The rear right hand wing contains several features of the early C17 whilst the front range has been remodelled and its date is uncertain. The tenuous evidence suggests that the front range may have been of three room plan, there being signs of a blocked fireplace in the left hand side wall of the entrance hall. The remains of an early C17 high quality plaster barrel vaulted ceiling in the rear wing suggests that the first floor was used as a parlour or grand chamber. The use of the ground floor is uncertain and the fireplace heated by the side lateral stack has been blocked. The C17 end stack to the rear wing now serves the fireplace in the circa C19 service range which has been added to the rear gable end. This may either suggest that the house has been truncated and the service range is built on the site of an earlier room which was served by the C17 stack or alternatively the stack was originally used to heat the first floor grand chamber/parlour and has been remodelled and reorientated. The stair to the rear of the entrance hall is probably of the 1840s and it may replace an earlier C18 stair. The service range to the rear of the left hand room has roughly chamfered ceiling beams, which may have been reused. Gilbert records in 1838 that the house had been partly demolished and converted into a farmhouse.

Exterior: two storeys. Symmetrical 3 window front with six pane sashes on ground floor and central entrance porch with two circa C18 granite Doric columns infilled with circa C19 timber panels. Circa late C19 four-panel door within. Three eight-pane sashes on first floor. Rear wing to right has C20 canted bay window on ground floor.

Interior: front range remodelled in circa mid C19 with wide entrance hall and circa 1840s stair in projection to rear. Circa late C17 door to rear outshot to left of stair with six raised and fielded panels and two circa C18 two-panel doors to first floor. Rear wing on right with chamfered floor joists with straight cut stops.

Roof structure above front range replaced in circa late C19. At least three pieces of timber, possibly purlins with chamfer and hollow straight cut stops, have been inserted below the wall plate. These appear to be partly smoke-blackened and are possibly reused roof timbers from an open hall although the evidence is very tenuous. Above the rear wing are four raised cruck trusses with pronounced curved feet, morticed apices, dovetailed notched and lap-jointed collars and butt purlins with complete carpenters marks. There is the remains of a circa early C17 barrel vaulted ceiling below with plaster on the gable end and a plaster cornice on twp sides decorated with a floral trail and strap work interspersed with undecorated shields.

To the rear of the house is a small courtyard with a single storey bake-house on left of stone rubble with slate roof with gable ends and a large stone rubble stack. To rear right is an open store with slate roof with gable ends supported on a line of unmoulded granite piers. Small pigs house beyond of stone rubble with brick dressings and slate roof with louvered ventilator in ridge.

The house, according to Gilbert, had a datestone 'FT 1500' and was mentioned by Norden as the seat of Richard Michell. Seat of the younger branch of the Carminow family until 1646 becoming the property of Sir James Smith in 1681.

Gilbert, D The Parochial History of Cornwall, 1838 Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1879

Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1873 reprinted 1974

Listing NGR: SX0646879312

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.