This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2155 / 54°12'55"N
Longitude: -2.5918 / 2°35'30"W
OS Eastings: 361504
OS Northings: 480135
OS Grid: SD615801
Mapcode National: GBR BMBP.PM
Mapcode Global: WH94P.592N
Entry Name: Underley Hall School
Listing Date: 5 March 1982
Last Amended: 22 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75267
Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
5166 Underley Hall School.
(Formerly listed as
SD 68 SW 2/142 5.3.82
1825-8 and 1872. By George Webster, altered and enlarged by Paley and Austin.
Jacobean. Two storeys with towers. Ashlar, with slate roofs and lead cupolas.
Older part was planned as a quadrangle with symmetrically composed facades to south
and east. The south (former entrance) facade is of seven bays with canted bays to
first and last through both storeys. Plinth, two strings and openwork parapet closed
by square turrets at either end with ogee cupolas. Mullioned and transomed windows
of two lights except to the canted bays which have five. Two storey porch of coupled
columns, Doric below and Ionic above. "1825" in cartouche over door. The east
facade is of five bays. End bays, turrets and decorative features as above. Across
the central bays is a one-storey Roman Doric tetrastyle porch with elaborate strap-
work cresting. On the west side is the service wing with gabled dormers and no
parapet, and the present entrance under a three storey tower probably of the later
build. The newer part of the house lies to the north and comprises additional rooms
and extensive stable and offices. The detail of the original block is continued
except for a four-storey tower with clasping, turrets and an openwork parapet of
Gothic arches. At its base is a square bay window of six lights on ground and first
floors framed by Doric and Ionic pilasters respectively. The stable court has
decorated cast iron and glass canopy. The chapel was added in 1965 to the east by
Building Design Partnership, connected by a corridor to second build. The chapel is
not of special interest.
Interior. Mostly by Paley and Austin. In vestibule plaque with "A.C.N. 1825".
Dining room has ceiling of moulded ribs in Tudor style and panelling with Ionic
pilasters. Fireplace in keeping. Similar panelling to former entrance hall, and
drawing room which also has fireplace of white marble by Webster with coupled Ionic
pilasters. The library in the later wing is Palladian with applied Ionic pilasters.
The staircase, by Webster, is entirely cased in panelling of cruciform design and has
a ceiling pattern of ribs and pendants enclosing Tudor motifs. Wide dogleg stair in
Terrace to south of house with retaining walls in keeping, and similar gatepiers a
little to the west on drive to Kearstwick. On terrace to east of house (floor of
former conservatory) large square stone vessel with Italian Romanesque decoration
resting on four lions, probably C19.
Built for Alexander Nowell MP, and extended for the Earl of Bective. One of the first
great houses of the Jacobean revival, recognised as such by Henry Shaw. (Details of
Elizabethan Architecture, 1839) and the first house of this size to be built in
Westmorland since Levens. The work of both periods was executed to a high standard,
with surprising scholarship in Webster's case. The house formed the subject of the
only drawings he ever sent to the Royal Academy exhibition and it is one of his major
Listing NGR: SD6150480135
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings