This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6424 / 54°38'32"N
Longitude: -3.5374 / 3°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 300878
OS Northings: 528563
OS Grid: NY008285
Mapcode National: GBR 3GQR.YL
Mapcode Global: WH5YP.MKQX
Plus Code: 9C6RJFR7+X2
Entry Name: Helena Thompson Museum and Former Stables
Listing Date: 6 June 1951
Last Amended: 13 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72282
Location: Workington, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA14
Civil Parish: Workington
Built-Up Area: Workington
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Workington St John
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 0028 WORKINGTON PARK END ROAD (East
10/58 Helena Thompson
Museum and former
(formerly listed as
House and stables, now Museum. Late C18 for the Curwen estate. Cement rendered
walls, with dentilled cornice under blocking course, and V-jointed quoins, on
chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables; large cement
rendered end chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays, with lower 2-storey, 2-bay
right wing and adjoining former stables at right-angles, forming overall
L-shape. Panelled double doors with interlace overlight, within panelled
reveals, in fluted-pilaster doorcase with dentilled pediment. Sash windows with
glazing bars, those on ground-floor left C20 and enlarged below sills, all in
eared architraves. Return walls have Venetian attic windows, that to right
rebuilt. Wing has C20 porch and sash windows in painted stone surrounds.
Stables have C20 garage doors and gable roundel. Return wall has blocked
windows. Interior has many C18 and C19 features. Rear ground-floor room has
heavily-moulded Gothic plaster ceiling. Staircase has 3 turned balusters to
each tread with moulded handrail and panelled dado. Built for the steward of
the Curwen estate and came to the Thompson family as stewards in the early C19.
Purchased by Helena Thompson in 1934 and bequeathed at her death to Workington
as a Museum, which opened in 1949.
Listing NGR: NY0087828563
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings