This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3838 / 50°23'1"N
Longitude: -4.449 / 4°26'56"W
OS Eastings: 225987
OS Northings: 56634
OS Grid: SX259566
Mapcode National: GBR NG.T913
Mapcode Global: FRA 18K1.4JS
Entry Name: Morval House
Listing Date: 18 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311992
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60721
Location: Morval, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Morval
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Morval
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 25 NE MORVAL MORVAL
4/63 Morval House
Country house. Circa C15, possibly with earlier origins with additions and
alterations in the C16, C17, C18, C19 and C20. Mid C19 alterations by Somners-Cox.
Stone rubble with moulded granite plinth to central range of south front; moulded
granite strings to south front and projecting wings and stonework rebuilt with
coursed ashlar above ground floor of south front probably contemporary with
refenestration in C17. Scantle slate roof with sprocketted eaves, probably circa
late C17, to south range. Projecting stone rubble chimney stacks to south range with
gabled side lateral chimney stack to left-hand wing incorporated in C19 extension and
replaced with brick shaft; 2 projecting chimney stacks to parlours in south east
right-hand wing, originally with C17 moulded caps, now with south stack with C20
brick shaft and north stack truncated; truncated rear lateral stacks to hall on right
of south range and parlour on left; truncated projecting rear lateral stacks to
earlier probable hall on north east and to projecting circa C16 range on west.
Plan considerably altered and evolution uncertain. Existing evidence may indicate
the following hypothesis; original house may either have consisted a 3 room and
through passage plan in the present central range of the house on the south, or
alternatively, and possibly more likely, the range along the east which is out of
alignment with the main range and comprises the surviving truncated 4-bay hall with
lightly smoke-blackened roof trusses. Possible service room
rebuilt to the south and an inner room partly remodelled on the north. House
probably then extended in the late C15 to rear (west) of lower end to provide a more
modern hall with a possible stair projection in the angle and the old hall becoming a
secondary hall or kitchen. In the late C15 or early C16, the inner room of the new
part was extended to the south with a first floor hall or parlour with 4-bay arch-
braced room and moulded ceiling beams on ground floor, later reused in attic (qv.
Roscarrock, Cotehele and Lanhydrock). Possibly in the C16 a service wing was erected
to the rear (north) of the first floor hall range with surviving roof trusses reduced
in width. However, this wing may be earlier than the C16 with earlier masonry on
west wall near junction with south range and remains of stair turret within west wall
with possible remodelling of the C16 wall on the east which faces onto the courtyard.
In circa C16 the south front was made symmetrical probably by the erection
of a further wing on the south east producing an overall U-shaped plan to the front
range and allowing the entrance to become central by extending the main range
slightly to the east. In circa late C16/17 the courtyard was probably enclosed on the north
and a second through passage from north to south, aligned with that in the south
range. In circa mid C17 a barrel vaulted ceiling was introduced in this range and by
1667 (dated fireplace later reset in south east wing) a further range was added on the
north of the north west wing with another range on the north of the north east wing.
Also in C17 a stair was added in a projection to the rear of the hall and the south
front was probably refaced or rebuilt. In circa 1700 the main reception rooms,
through passage and bedrooms in south range were panelled. In mid C19 a nursery wing
was added to the left (west) of the south range; the north elevation already partly
remodelled with the ground floor entrance altered was then further remodelled and
refenestrated; the angle between the porch and the north west wing filled, and a
kitchen with clocktower above was inserted between the north east wing and porch; the
north east wing was partly remodelled, the roof raised and the east wall partly
rebuilt and a further 2-storey wing was added to the north east. C20 alterations
included the demolition of the stair projection with its fine probably C17 plaster
ceiling, the resiting of the C17 stair in the original open hall on the east, and the
erection of a loggia along the south wall of the courtyard using the granite columns
from the earlier demolished circa C18 south Doric porch.
2-storey south front with attic and cellar on east with symmetrical 1:3:1 arrangement
of fenestration. 2 projecting hipped wings with circa early C19 stepped stone rubble
buttresses probably contemporary with remodelling of fenestration. Earlier undated
painting illustrates the hipped ends of these wings without windows in the ground
floor. Central range with C19 remodelled entrance with 2-centred moulded stone arch
with rollmould, large spade stops, initials I F B (John Francis Buller 1818-1890) in spandrels and
C20 part glazed door. Flanked by two 6-light granite mullion windows with central king
mullion and late C18 diagonal glazing bars with lambs tongues and crown glass. First
floor with three 4-light granite mullion windows with king mullions and 3 full
dormers with hipped roofs in attic. Projecting hipped wings with probably early C19
4-light granite mullion windows in ground floor with diagonal glazing bars and two 6-
light granite mullion windows in side walls with deeply splayed chamfered reveals on
interior and C18 diagonal glazing bars with lambs tongues and crown glass. First
floor with 2 smaller 4-light granite mullion windows with C18 glazing bars and
smaller 4-light mullion windows in side walls. C19 2-storey wing on left-hand side
with symmetrical 2-window front with C19 fenestration. Lower side wall of right-hand
wing with 2 projecting C17 stone rubble chimney stacks and probably C18 buttress near
centre. Ovolo-moulded timber lintels to blocked openings to cellar with 4-centred
heavy rollmoulded entrance with carved spandrels and double plank doors with cover
moulds. Ground floor with small 3-light mullion window on left and 3 enlarged 2-
light mullion windows to right with four 3-light mullion windows on second floor.
North wall with C19 casement replacing earlier probably reset mullion and transom
window with cusped headed lights, illustrated in earlier undated painting of house.
C20 entrance porch in angle of south east wing and east range containing C15 open
hall. Latter largely remodelled in C20 when probably C18 sashes were replaced with
C20 fenestration. Range to right on north west, partly rebuilt, projecting stack
removed, eaves raised in circa 1830s and hornless sashes with crown glass inserted in
raised first floor. North elevation; asymmetrical 2 and 3-storey elevations with
much C19 alterations. Central range of 3-storeys with chamfered arch originally to
probable projecting porch made narrower when spandrels re-arranged and right-hand
jamb reset, C19 remodelling with 2- and 3-light casements with segmental relieving
arches. 3 storey circa C17 range to right partly remodelled with some C18 rusticated
quoins and C19 range to left comprising kitchen with clocktower above with pyramid
slate roof and turret with timber louvers, hipped slate roof and weathervane. Slate-
hung 2-storey range to far left.
Courtyard enclosed on 4 sides possibly originally with pentice which connected the
north and south ranges with their aligned through passages.
South face ofcourtyard extended with slate-hung loggia supported on granite columns
reused from south entrance porch in circa 1970s. C16 west elevation of 3 storeys
with late C15 or C16 basket arch to ground floor on left, aligning with through
passage in east range, with moulded arch with bar stops and as originally not
intended to take a door, may have been reset. C16 3-light mullion with casement and
moulded surround in attic with multilated remains of similar window below. North
elevation with 3-storey range on left and remodelled 2-storey range on right
previously obscured by stair projection which extended into the courtyard. Entrance
in ground floor originally wider with re-arranged spandrels and reset jamb.
Interior South range remodelled in C16 and C17 with wide passage and parlour and
hall of equal size. Through passage with late C17 bolection moulded panelling with
paint stripped off in circa 1970s. Fine circa C18 leathers with silver leaf and
later paint rehung in parlour on left, possibly given to Buller family as part of
Hall on right with large chamfered fireplace with pyramid stops with lintel truncated
on right and right-hand jamb reset. 2 parlours in projecting wing on right (south
east), now 1 room, with granite fireplace to south, probably resited from north west
range with chamfered lintel inscribed 'J 1667 B' (John Buller), and chamfered jambs
with heart shaped stops. Probably open hall to rear of parlour with stair reset in
C20 when moved from stair projection to rear of hall. Fine plasterwork in projection
also destroyed but early C20 photograph illustrates a probably C17 ceiling, coved and
hipped with large swags and figures in deep relief. Stair circa 1670 reset as dog
leg with square panelled newels, ornate carved finials, turned balusters, reworked
C20 rail and ornate carved closed strings. Traditionally believed to have come from
Keveral Barton (also belonging to the Buller family) in St Martin parish (qv).
Fireplace in hall possibly mid C17 with segmental arched opening, triangular motif
and ball in ball relief in centre.
First floor with room on south previously hung with leathers with circa late C17 bolection
moulded panelling below chair rail and possibly restored or renewed panelling above.
Barrel vaulted plaster ceiling in north range probably replacing earlier similar
ceiling with feet of trusses projecting beyond. C19 clock in clocktower on north
east with bell from earlier building, inscribed 'John Buller Bellfound C. P. 1714'.
Roof structure Earliest roof above hall on east comprising 4 trusses of circa C15;
lightly smoke-blackened with cavetto and rollmouding on underside of morticed collars
and arch braces, with diagonally-set ridge, feet of principals boxed in and evidence
of possible wind bracing obscured. Closing truss on south and wall at north end
where probably truncated. Roof above main range on south with late C15/C16 trusses
in projecting wing on left, late C17 remodelled range in centre, late C15 probably
reset truss at junction of wing on right and circa late C16/C17 roof trusses to front
right-hand projecting wing; earlier wing originally above open first floor hall or
parlour comprising 4 trusses with principals with morticed collars and arch braces,
now removed, 2 tiers of holes for threaded purlins and slots for
wind braces surviving in some blades. Several moulded ceiling beams in attic
possibly C16 reused from room on ground floor. Central range probably contemporary
with late C17 bolection moulded panelling, partly replaced, remaining trusses
with chamfered collars with lapped and oak pegged joints. Right-hand wing with reset
arch-braced. truss, probably late C15, with grown curved feet, morticed collars,
cavetto and chamfered moulded arch braces and trenched purlins; remainder of trusses
circa late C16/C17 with morticed apex, collars with unusual dovetailed notched lapped
joints with almost square cut notch below (compare with Bray House, Morval). West
wing to rear of main range with circa late C16/C17 roof with reset reduced collars
with dovetail notched lapped joints. To north, above the barrel vaulted ceiling, the
circa early C17 roof trusses appear to be earlier than the ceiling with morticed
apex, cranked collars with dovetailed double notched lapped joints and scarfed
trenched purlins. The barrel vaulted ceiling is probably a replacement of a similar
ceiling which originally continued further to the west.
Seat of the Glyns (1436-1512) Codes (1512-1659) and Bullers (1659-1890) with
considerable documentary evidence surviving.
Sources Information from owner who is researching the history of the house and from
paintings in possession of Major R R B Kitson, owner until 1973. Analysis of develop-
ment of plan in collaboration with E. Berry and J. Schofield.
Listing NGR: SX2598756634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings