History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aspley Heath, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0088 / 52°0'31"N

Longitude: -0.6485 / 0°38'54"W

OS Eastings: 492858

OS Northings: 235343

OS Grid: SP928353

Mapcode National: GBR F24.4TC

Mapcode Global: VHFQQ.QR0Y

Entry Name: Church of Saint Michael

Listing Date: 1 March 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312016

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38135

Location: Aspley Heath, Central Bedfordshire, MK17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Aspley Heath

Built-Up Area: Woburn Sands

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woburn Sands

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Aspley Guise

Listing Text

SP 9235-9335 ASPLEY HEATH CHURCH ROAD
6/32
1.3.72 Church of Saint Michael
- II*
Parish church, 1868 by Henry Clutton, patron the Duke of Bedford. Some
reworking 1889 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Coursed limestone with ashlar
dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, N gable block and vestry, nave, N and
S aisles, N chapel, S porch. Loosely Gothic and Tudor motifs. Almost all
windows have curious tracery, formed by intersecting circles, truncated just
beyond intersection. Most are under square heads. Plain parapets to most
blocks with gargoyle waterspouts at intervals. Cross finials to most gables,
Chancel:E elevation has 3 elongated pointed-arched single lights, central one
taller, N elevation has 3-light window, outer lights blind: S elevation
has similar window to E and 2 2-light windows to W. Internally 2 SW windows
are set in pointed-arched 2-bay blind arcade, matched by similar blind arcade
to N. N gable block:2-storeyed. Lower room has plain 3-light N window.
Upper room has large rose window with cross of 2 mullions and 2 transoms and
trefoils similar to cusping elsewhere. Integral chimney stack to gable apex
with linked polygonal shafts. Single-storeyed vestry block within NE angle
has pointed-arched E door and 3-light window. Nave: 5-bay round-arched
arcades on slender columns to both sides. W end has 2 long pointed-arched
single lights. These flank a substantial 5-stage buttress. Supported by
buttress, at gable apex, is partially projecting circular bell-turret. Bell-
stage has single lights similar to those elsewhere. Small stone spire
pierced by small rectangular slits. N and S aisles: each has 2 4-light
windows. Steeply pitched roof extends over nave and aisles. N chapel:
projects from E end of N aisle. 2 3-light N windows. Slender column and
corbels support moulded timber posts, lintel and curved braces, forming 2-bay
arcade onto N aisle. S porch: to W end of S aisle. Tall, gabled, with
pointed archway surmounted by small single light. Side elevations have
single lights. Interior: fairly simple. Chancel has barrel-vaulted roof.
Open timber roof to nave and aisles, the timbers substantial and simply
moulded. Chancel has piscina and sedilia with cusped pointed arches. Glass
of 1890 to chancel E window and N chapel NE window. N chapel has timber
screen with heavy cusping and slender colonnettes.


Listing NGR: SP9285835343

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.