History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Patrick

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston Patrick, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2453 / 54°14'42"N

Longitude: -2.7119 / 2°42'42"W

OS Eastings: 353704

OS Northings: 483520

OS Grid: SD537835

Mapcode National: GBR 9MHB.NY

Mapcode Global: WH839.9KVC

Entry Name: Church of St Patrick

Listing Date: 20 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312122

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76611

Location: Preston Patrick, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA7

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Preston Patrick

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Crooklands

Listing Text

SD 58 SW,
4/57

PRESTON PATRICK A65 (off East side),
Crooklands,
Church of St Patrick

II

Formerly known as Church of St Gregory. Parish Church. 1852 by Sharpe and
Paley on site of earlier church; chancel rebuilt 1892. Incorporates C15 window
in tower and niches in chancel from original church. Squared limestone blocks
with roughly-cut limestone dressings to nave, sandstone dressings to chancel;
graduated slate roof with stone ridge and copings. Perpendicular style. West
Tower, nave with North aisle, chancel and vestry. Chamfered plinth and cornice;
square 4-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, string to each stage, bell
openings to all sides of 4th stage, battlemented parapets and octagonal stair
turret, rising to higher level at south-west corner, with slit windows and
pointed-arched head to door. Gabled South porch with slate roof and stone
copings; depressed arch to doorway with hoodmould and heavy roughly-dressed
stone labels.

INTERIOR: Nave has 4-bay A-frame roof with curved braces, chancel
has one bay barrel-vaulted roof. Three 3-light windows to North aisle, three 2-light
windows to South of nave and one 2-light window in chancel, 4-light West window
and 4-light East window with stained glass representing Saints; variety of other
late C19 and early C20 glass including central window in South side of nave by
Heaton Butler and Bayne of London. Pulpit commemorates death of William Henry
Wakefield of Sedgwick House in 1889. Prominent landscape feature dominating
surrounding area.


Listing NGR: SD5370483520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.