History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blease Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Hutton and Holmescales, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2961 / 54°17'46"N

Longitude: -2.694 / 2°41'38"W

OS Eastings: 354925

OS Northings: 489167

OS Grid: SD549891

Mapcode National: GBR 9LMR.JQ

Mapcode Global: WH833.L8BV

Entry Name: Blease Hall

Listing Date: 21 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312207

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76703

Location: Old Hutton and Holmescales, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Old Hutton and Holmescales

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Old Hutton

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Natland

Listing Text

SD 549891 OLD HUTTON & HOLMESCALES B6254
(off South side)

4/14 Blease Hall
21.11.52

G.V. II*

House. Probably c.1600 for Robert Bateman; masons probably the Gibson family
who worked on Levens Hall. Slobbered rubble with quoins. Graduated slate roofs
with moulded copings and kneelers. Originally Hall with cross-wings although
north wing may have formed part of earlier building; south wing demolished early
C19. 2 storeys with cellar and attics; 4 bays overall(1:1:1:1). Present main
entrance through late C20 gabled porch adjoining south return. Garden
elevation: North wing has part-glazed door with casement to left; 5-light 1st
floor window, 4-light attic window, both mullioned and transomed under
hoodmoulds with labels. Hall has central full-height bay with 8-light (1:3:3:1)
king-mullioned and transomed window to each floor (blocked until 1985); 2-light
mullioned window under hoodmould with labels to 1st floor left, remains of
similar window to 1st floor right. Rear wall of hall rebuilt c.1830; rear of
wing retains part-blocked cellar door with window to right, both with chamfered
surrounds. Large projecting chimney to north end; stepped cylindrical mid
chimney and south end chimney, all rendered. Interior: Hall entered by studded
plank door in (reset?) chamfered surround with false 4-centred head. Large
fireplace with moulded segmental arch opposite has panelled door in architrave
to either side; left-hand door leads into former parlour with foliate plaster
frieze, right-hand door leads to dog-leg oak stair with square newels, turned
balusters (renewed 1985) and moulded handrail. 1st floor of hall retains
remains of fine plaster ceiling with 9 ft diameter vine-scroll decoration,
figures, frieze, and plaster moulding to beams. Wing has 3 braced trusses with
carpenters' numbers. Main timbers throughout are stop-chamfered. At time of
survey (June 1985) building is being refurbished to a high standard with
plasterwork cleaned and repaired and panelling replaced.


Listing NGR: SD5492589167

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.