This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4426 / 50°26'33"N
Longitude: -4.4207 / 4°25'14"W
OS Eastings: 228216
OS Northings: 63100
OS Grid: SX282631
Mapcode National: GBR NH.PJBF
Mapcode Global: FRA 17MW.HLZ
Entry Name: Little Tregrill and Outbuildings Adjoining to South West
Listing Date: 26 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61276
Location: Menheniot, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Menheniot
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Menheniot
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 26 SE MENHENIOT
11/75 Little Tregrill and outbuildings
adjoining to south-west
House and outbuilding adjoining to south-west. House circa late C16, possibly with
earlier origins. Partly remodelled in 1726, datestone PGA 1726. Stone rubble and
cob, rendered and whitewashed. Slate roof with half hip on left hand side, gable on
right and hipped end to rear projecting wing. Large stone rubble lateral hall stack
on front. Rear lateral stack to service room with shaft removed. 3 rooms and
through passage with service end on left to south-east remodelled, possibly in 1726
to form parlour. Heated by rear lateral stack. Hall to right probably originally
open. Floor inserted in circa early C17 with front lateral stack. Staircase
projection adjoining hall fireplace. Unheated inner room, later becoming dairy.
Rear projecting wing extending beyond dairy and part of hall to form 'L' shaped plan.
This rear wing may be earlier than the main range. In circa C18 a stair was
introduced in this wing. The stair was removed in mid C20.
2 storeys, asymmetrical 3 window north-east front. Ground floor; entrance door to
left of centre, C19 with margin glazing bars to 2 upper lights and panelled below.
Projecting lateral stack to right. Staircase projection adjoining with 3-light
casement and slate hood above. C20 window to dairy on right.
First floor; Datestone in square surround with shouldered central panel above door in
line with eaves. 2 gabled dormers with centre hung 3-light casements.
Interior; Service room on left of through passage probably remodelled in 1726 to form
parlour with moulded early C18 plasterwork comprising heavy cornice extending on 2
sides of room. Remainder partly blocked. Evidence of lintel to blocked fireplace of
rear lateral stack. Wide through passage with possible evidence of blocked door to
rear. Now blocked to rear by circa C19 imperial stair. Hall with inserted floor
with chamfered ceiling beams and plain stops running across depth of building from
south-west to north-east. C19 fireplace to front lateral stack. Inner unheated
room on right of hall with heavy chamfered ceiling beams. No stops visible. Beams
run along building from north-west to south-east. Unique oak timber screen between
hall and inner room. Possibly early C17 comprising series of vertical planks,
slightly lapped, with scratch moulds to right hand edge and central vertical cavetto
mould. Above screen on hall side, heavy chamfered bressumer with ogee stops. C20
door on left of screen. Circa late C16 or early C17 doorframe to rear wing with
chamfered segmental timber arch, chamfered jambs and mansons mitres. Rear wing with
heavy ceiling beams now boxed in, running from north-west to south-east. First floor, circa C17 doorcase, in entrance to rear wing. Ovolo mould with high
stops. Plank and muntin screen on first floor directly above screens of through
passage and off-set above screen between hall and inner room. C18 2 panel door.
Evidence of staircase turret visible from cupboard of right hand bedroom. Chamfered
lintel and probable small slit opening just visible.
Roof of 8 bays to main range, circa C18. Some reused timbers. Slight chamfer to
collars on hall side, One principal with hole for threaded purlin. Closed truss
above screen between hall and through passage. Roof to rear wing. Suggested to
contain jointed crucks. However, the roof structure was sealed by a plaster ceiling
and inspection was not possible..
Tregrill, domesday manor held by Alric before 1066. Tregrill was marked by Carew in
his survey of Cornwall, 1602 (description of East Hundred). It passed through the
hands of the Carminous and then to the Trelawnys, and Hamblys.
J. Polsue Lake's Parochial iistory of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974.
Listing NGR: SX2821663100
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings