History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Farrington Gurney, Bath and North East Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2994 / 51°17'57"N

Longitude: -2.5247 / 2°31'29"W

OS Eastings: 363511

OS Northings: 155716

OS Grid: ST635557

Mapcode National: GBR JT.YHLP

Mapcode Global: VH89G.6L3R

Plus Code: 9C3V7FXG+Q4

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 21 September 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312793

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32801

Location: Farrington Gurney, Bath and North East Somerset, BS39

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Farrington Gurney

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Farrington Gurney



6/61 Church of St. John the Baptist

Anglican parish church. 1843-5 by John Pinch junior. Squared and coursed lias
with freestone dressings, ashlar buttresses,stone tile roof to nave, C20 plain
tile roofs to chancel and aisles. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west
tower. Norman Revival style replacing earlier church. 4 bay nave with
embattled billet corbel table and pilaster buttresses; single light windows with
recessed arched surrounds. Chancel has tall round-headed windows with blind
round-headed arcading at their bases. Aisles have nook shafts and cushion
capitals to windows. Tower of 4 stages with setback buttresses and plain
parapet. West doorway of 2 orders with nook shafts and cushion capitals;
studded plank 2-leaf door. Above doorway a reset medieval figure of God the
Father holding a crucifixion in his hands. Single light window to 2nd stage,
nebule frieze above, further traceried roundel and bell stage with 2-light
openings. Bracketted cornice below parapet. Interior. 4 bay nave arcades
with circular piers and scalloped capitals. Hammerbeam roof to nave, plank roofs
to aisles, open rafter roof to chancel. West gallery. Fittings. Neo-Norman
font and pulpit. Reset eroded stone coat of arms above west gallery. Late C19
stained glass throughout. Mogg family monuments in chancel: earliest, 1641 to
Richard Mogg. (Pevsner, Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6351155716

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.