This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.384 / 51°23'2"N
Longitude: -0.9507 / 0°57'2"W
OS Eastings: 473119
OS Northings: 165516
OS Grid: SU731655
Mapcode National: GBR C6N.0H7
Mapcode Global: VHDX6.GGSW
Entry Name: Swallowfield Park and Adjoining Stable Block
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Last Amended: 14 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41592
Location: Swallowfield, Wokingham, RG7
Civil Parish: Swallowfield
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Swallowfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SWALLOWFIELD CHURCH ROAD
SU 76 NW
Swallowfield Park and adjoining
1.8.52 Stable Block (formerly listed as
Swallow field Park and gateway from
garden onto path leading to courtyard)
Large country house and stables in parkland, now residential apartments.
Late C17 by Talman for the second Earl of Clarendon, adapted and altered
in 1820 by William Atkinson for Sir Henry Russell. Restored c1975.
Rendered brick and brick, with hipped slate roofs of different heights.
Main block is H-plan with wings projecting to the entrance front, and more
at the rear; the stable block is centred round an arcaded courtyard open
to the west and adjoining the main block on the north and south corners
of the north west wing. 2 storeys. Numerous chimneys. Main block:-
rendered with plinth, first floor string, frieze and cornice, and panelled
parapet. Sash windows with glazing bars in architrave surrounds. South-
west front has a 5-bay centre with central door and rectangular fanlight,
under a Greek Doric porch with corner piers and entablature carried forward
over pairs of columns. The centre is flanked by projecting wings, each of
2 bays. North-east front is generally similar but without a porch and has
niches between windows. South-east front has 9 bays; the centre 3 bays
project slightly with 4 Doric pilasters and entablature. Stables:-
Brick 2 storeys. The southern section projects in front of the main block
with plinth, strings at first floor level and over first floor windows;
panelled parapet. Segmental headed sash windows with glazing bars. 4 bays,
the right hand bay slightly set back with a half glazed door under arched
radiating and wreathed fanlight. To the left of this is an arched stable
entrance flanked by pilasters the whole height with stone caps and one
casement window over arch. Above on the roof is a bell turret with cupola.
This archway is repeated in the opposite wing. Both wings have arcaded
corridors on the inner faces now enclosed with round headed windows with
glazing bars. To the left of the archway is a southern wing, and at right
angles running south-west is a long extension of 12 bays with arched entrance
of similar design. Interior of house:- Entrance hall has marble floor,
carved stone fireplace enriched with egg and dart and acanthus leaf mouldings,
panelled door and window reveals; arched and radiating fanlights over 2
doors, through to an oval vestibule on the garden side, which has a marble
floor, an ornate stucco ceiling with 8 panels enriched with swags, festoons
and garlands. 4 niches with shell heads, moulded and curved wall panelling
between; moulded ceiling cornice; 6-panelled doors with broken pediments
over. This room is said to be part of Talman's work, and the stone doorway
listed separately is Talman's and formed the doorway from the garden until
1820. A house has stood on this site since very early times.
V.C.H. Vol.III p.267. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.238.
Listing NGR: SU7311965516
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings