This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2981 / 51°17'53"N
Longitude: -2.896 / 2°53'45"W
OS Eastings: 337624
OS Northings: 155824
OS Grid: ST376558
Mapcode National: GBR JB.YD85
Mapcode Global: VH7CS.RMBQ
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33395
Location: Loxton, North Somerset, BS26
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Loxton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 35 NE LOXTON CHURCH LANE, Loxton
4/56 Parish Church of St Andrew
Parish church (Anglican). C11 origins, C13 - C15, early C2O restoration and
extension. All rendered rubble and plain clay tile roof apart from organ
chamber and vestry of snecked rubble and slate roof. Nave and chancel, north
chapel, south porch tower, south vestry and organ chamber. Nave and chancel;
3 light Perpendicular west window under slight drip mould; to north a restored
2 light Pecorated window and a square head 2 light window under a dripmould;
Between adjacent to a C2O buttress is blocked north door with segmental head; at
north east is rood stair in lean-to turret; at south a single lancet; chancel,
under same roof has a 3 light east window, restored in 1913; north chapel;
gabled with cusped trefoiled east window; to north a 2 light Perpendicular
window; to south a small cusped window; small C20 lean-to boiler shed; single
stage embattled south tower, low buttresses only at outer corners, at east and
west there is a weathered set back about halfway up; plain slit windows to bell
chamber; south organ chamber and vestry, dated 1926, to south a weathered
buttress separates a priest's door with shouldered jambs and 2 light window above
from a small cusped 3 light window; east has a 2 light window and a quatrefoil
above; consecration cross and date on quoins. Interior; nave and chancel;
cusped rear arch to south lancet; wagon roof on angel corbels of 1900; much
restored and moved Perpendicular rood screen; chancel panelled and new reredos
with excellent detail in 1913 at same time as nave stripped of plaster and new
stone floor inserted; strange flat arches pierce nave and chancel wall for vestry
and organ chamber; south tower porch; south doorway has damaged remnant, inner
arch of C11/C12 arch; segmental headed arch has simple mould with pellet
decoration above; empty niche above that; simple square squint through great
depth of nave wall for view of chancel. Fittings; octagonal C14 font with
Jacobean hood; Perpendicular pulpit of the local school, half octagon,
2 traceried lights per side divided by buttresses with free standing finials,
foliate frieze and cornice above, all carried on trumpet foot on human corbel.
(Source: N. Pevsner : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).
Listing NGR: ST3762455824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings