History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Aircraft Hangar Approximately 200 Metres South East of Headley Hall Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Bramham cum Oglethorpe, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8662 / 53°51'58"N

Longitude: -1.3219 / 1°19'18"W

OS Eastings: 444691

OS Northings: 441325

OS Grid: SE446413

Mapcode National: GBR MR6Q.MT

Mapcode Global: WHDBF.N2RX

Entry Name: Former Aircraft Hangar Approximately 200 Metres South East of Headley Hall Farm

Listing Date: 3 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313179

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342211

Location: Bramham cum Oglethorpe, Leeds, LS24

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Bramham cum Oglethorpe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bramham

Listing Text

BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE SPEN COMMON LANE
SE44SW
LS23 (west side, off)
1/51 Former aircraft hangar
approx. 200 metres
south-east of Headley
Hall Farm

II

Former aircraft hangar, now used as barn (etc). 1916, for Royal Flying Corps; slightly
altered. Timber construction, with wall panels said to be of steel and concrete
laminate, segmental roof with felted cladding. Large rectangular structure approx.
50x30 metres, on east-west axis, with attached single-storey offices on north side.
Laminated timber wall posts with external buttresses of the same construction,
horizontal ties to these passing through the wall at mid-level and raked ties likewise
passing through to the roof trusses, continuous small-paned glazing between these
ties; full-height sliding doors at both ends (altered, and replaced or faced with
corrugated iron sheeting), with vertical windows and central ventilator in the
segmental gable. Offices on north side of similar construction. Interior:laminated
timber roof trusses of segmental latticed girder construction, the outer end boarded,
linked longitudinally by a pair of purlins mounted on the tie-beams, carrying closely-
spaced purlins and diagonally-boarded cladding (said to be cross-diagonal laminate);
some original wall lettering in the bays. History: only surviving building of
No 38 TDS (Training Depot Station), Tadcaster, opened in Spring of 1916 with arrival
of B Flight of 33 Squadron, and later 46 Reserve Squadron, initially for air defence
of Leeds Sheffield area; subsequently TDS (normally the largest 1st World War aerodromes,
bases for squadrons mobilising for overseas service); closed June 1919, used as
aircraft store, later sold. Item is good example of its type and date; same construction
as at RAF Museum, Hendon, and Duxford Airfield, Cambridgeshire. References: Imperial
War Museum (ref 105/SE/445 413) and Bruce Robertson Aviation Archaeology 2nd edition
1983 especially pp 41-44 and Appendix A.


Listing NGR: SE4469141325

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.