This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.684 / 53°41'2"N
Longitude: -1.4543 / 1°27'15"W
OS Eastings: 436137
OS Northings: 420975
OS Grid: SE361209
Mapcode National: GBR LT8V.Y3
Mapcode Global: WHDC4.MNPN
Plus Code: 9C5WMGMW+H7
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342403
Location: Warmfield cum Heath, Wakefield, WF1
Civil Parish: Warmfield cum Heath
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Warmfield St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Tagged with: Church building
SE32SE WARMFIELD-CUM-HEATH KIRKTHORPE LANE
1/98 Church of St. Peter
Church. C14 tower, body of church rebuilt c1875, tower parapet renewed c1904.
Perpendicular style. Large dressed stone to tower, smaller hammer-dressed stone
to body of church, stone slate roof. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch,
chancel with north chapel. 2-span roof. 2-stage tower has diagonal buttresses,
with offsets to west angles only, rising to just below 2nd-stage band. C19 west
window of 3 cusped lights with panel tracery. North-east stair-turret has lean-to
roof and arrowslits. South face has inserted C19 window. 2-light belfry window
to each face has Y-tracery and cusped lights. Set just below is small chamfered
light. Corner gargoyles. Ashlar embattled parapet with corner crocketed pinnacles.
Nave: 4 bays. Porch, set in 1st bay, has 2-centred-arched doorway with stop-chamfered
surround, diagonal buttresses, coped gable and inner C19 arched doorway. Bays to
right hand: plinth, 3-light windows with cusped lights set in a square-headed
double-chamfered surrounds, and offset buttresses dividing bays. Larger buttress
at division between nave and chancel. Coped gable. North aisle has one original
buttress with carved figure on offset. Chancel: lower. 3 bays articulated by
buttresses. 2-light window with hoodmould, 2 blind bays. Two 3-light east windows
with vesica above chancel window. Grotesque gargoyle reused as kneeler to right.
Interior: open aisle arcade has columns of clustered colonnettes, quatrefoil in
section, with moulded capitals decorated with fleurons. C19 hammer-beam roof,
arched-brace roof to chancel. Choir stalls with carved poppy heads by John
Wolstenholme (York). Stained glass windows by Wailes (Newcastle), some fragments
of medieval glass remain in nave and aisle windows. Octagonal cup-shaped font
dated 1718. The chief merit of the church is a fine collection of C18 wall monuments.
The most important of these is the Stringer Monument by Guelfi: 2 detached busts
on a sarcophagus with straight tapering sides; background by Kent with inscription,
a frame starting from 2 big volutes and crowned by an open-segmental pediment carved
coat-or-arms with putti. The Smyth chapel has numerous monuments dating from 1731;
including that to John Smyth of 2 putti uncovering his portrait on an oval medallion,
that to Lady Georgina Smyth and others signed by Flaxman; 1799.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974) p294.
Listing NGR: SE3613720975
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings