History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Burnley, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7896 / 53°47'22"N

Longitude: -2.2543 / 2°15'15"W

OS Eastings: 383341

OS Northings: 432616

OS Grid: SD833326

Mapcode National: GBR DSPM.R8

Mapcode Global: WHB83.B0RN

Entry Name: Victoria Mill

Listing Date: 3 June 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313388

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467238

Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Trinity

Built-Up Area: Burnley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burnley (Habergham Eaves) St Matthew the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text


BURNLEY

SD8332NW TRAFALGAR STREET
906-1/14/149 (North East side)
03/06/91 Victoria Mill

GV II

Originally a Throstle cotton mill, later (1890s) an integrated
mill, now used for wholesale and miscellaneous purposes. 1855
(for the Massey family), enlarged in 1889, with later
alterations. Coursed rubble; slate roofs. The mill buildings
occupy a roughly triangular site bounded by the Leeds and
Liverpool Canal (to the north) and Trafalgar Street (to the
south).
PLAN/EXTERIOR: the 1850s mill L-shaped on plan, the longer
range (running parallel to the street) double depth with
paired gables to west, hipped (and possibly shortened) to
east, containing carding engines and roving frames to ground,
and mules to upper floors, the machinery now removed. The
return range contained an integral engine house. 4 storeys.
7-stage tower (to south-east of original building) and
2-storeyed weaving sheds to east added in 1889. Street-side
range 10 x 6 window bays, bays 8 and 9 projecting, windows
with continuous lintel bands, mostly 6-pane casements, some
altered, with a set of taking-in doors to centre of rear
(north) gable wall. The rear elevation is similarly
fenestrated, some windows blocked. Return wing with former
engine house marked by tall round-headed window opening. Later
range connects with canal. 1889 tower, 7 stages each with
round-headed windows. Storeyed weaving sheds with roofs intact
contained by quoined perimeter wall, the east elevation
considerably altered.
INTERIOR: disposition of iron columns reflects use of
different machinery on upper and lower floors, with
exceptionally wide aisles to top 2 storeys. The mill retains
its original hoist gear, and is understood to contain an early
sprinkler system.

Listing NGR: SD8334132616

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.