History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Plane Tree Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Burnley, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.79 / 53°47'23"N

Longitude: -2.2496 / 2°14'58"W

OS Eastings: 383651

OS Northings: 432659

OS Grid: SD836326

Mapcode National: GBR DSQM.R4

Mapcode Global: WHB7X.DZZX

Entry Name: Former Plane Tree Public House

Listing Date: 29 September 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313393

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467243

Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Trinity

Built-Up Area: Burnley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burnley (Habergham Eaves) St Matthew the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/02/2015


SD8332NE
906-1/15/156


BURNLEY,
WESTGATE (West side),
Former Plane Tree Public House (No. 4)

(Formerly listed as Plane Tree Public House)

29/09/77

GV II

House, now public house. Remodelled as public house 1895-7. By
Charles Parsons; altered. Sandstone ashlar (sides and rear of
random rubble); roof concealed but probably slate. Jacobean
style. Rectangular double-depth plan.
3 storeys and 4 unequal bays; with a chamfered plinth, string
courses, pilasters and wall-shafts to the upper floors, a
panelled parapet with ball finials, and shaped upstands over
the 2nd and 4th bays, both flanked by obelisk finials and that
to the left with raised lettering "PLANE TREE". The ground
floor has a round-headed doorway to the 2nd bay, with an
architrave including Mannerist Ionic pilasters and a
strap-work parapet with obelisk finials; mullion-and-transom
windows of 8 lights to the left, 6 lights to the right, and a
bowed 8-light window to the 4th bay. On the upper floors the
2nd and 4th bays have coupled windows with Ionic colonnettes,
flanked by pilasters; the 1st bay has 2 windows and the 3rd
bay has one window; and all these windows are now C20 top-hung
casements with applied diamond lattice leading.
INTERIOR altered.
HISTORY: before remodelling in 1895, was occupied as private
house by William Hopwood, cotton spinner and manufacturer, one
of Burnley's richest men.

Listing NGR: SD8365132659

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.